advice on minidisk players/recorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on minidisk players/recorders

I am thinking of getting one so I can record my lectures with good quality and use it for language samples etc. in the next couple years.

I don't know a damn thing about the portable minidisk recorders except that Sony makes like 4 different models. I don't know the difference between them and I don't know if they are any good.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I am also definately on a tight budget. I'm already in debt and would like to keep that to a minimum if possible - but I also want to get good quality stuff, so I am willing to pay for it (within reason).

TIA,
    Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Sony stuff is good, also check out the kenwood range.
    Consider LP4 as you can fit a hell of a lot on one disk.
    I have a kenwood that does a fantastic job, but I can't recomend models to you as we have a complete different series overhere.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Much thanks guys!

I am now thinking about the Sony MZ-G750DPC. Has anyone used/have any comments about that model? Good/bad? Thanks again.
      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 30 August 2001, 12:15.
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Has no one any experience/heard anything with that model???
        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I have the somewhat old MZR-50 from Sony and uses it for recording lectures, and it is very effective, just make sure to get o good mic also. Sony have made a small plugin mic without any cord, thats the one I use with great succes.

That particular model I have no experience with, but I think one of my friends has one (cant remember the exact model) and he is very happy with it.
          System:
          Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
          AMD Thunderbird 800
          SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
          Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
          LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
          IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
          Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
          WinME
          directx 8.0a
          384mb pc133

Comment

i got the sony rz-90 (i think), its cool, but it skips when you are running on rough ground.

they also got a new one which will record directly from mp3 with a special cable (usb i think )

but why not get an mp3 player right away? the iomega hipzip (i think thats what its called) is quite cool

Comment

mp3-players I dont know anything about, but if the primary function is to record lectures an MD-recorder is very good.

I just checked my mic, its a Sony ECM-DS70P which works very well for me.
              System:
              Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
              AMD Thunderbird 800
              SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
              Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
              LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
              IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
              Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
              WinME
              directx 8.0a
              384mb pc133

Comment

Just stay away from plastic like the Sharp ones I have seen, those are so dodgy and breakable it's ashame they take money for it. A friend of mine exchanged it three times before he wanted his money back and bought a Sony.

I have the fairly old MZ-R 30, but it's still is pretty good shape, especially considering it survived a heavy drop of about one meter onto concrete

Also the very recent models offer improved compression, ie. they have different bitrates for extended recordings and especially for lectures it should be great to have 80mins x 2 for mono x 4 for highest compression = 640 minutes worth of storage while marking indizes with a single keystroke.

There was a review online recently, but I can'i seem to find it again. I'll let you know, if I can dig it up.
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I'm lookin forward to it if you can find it Maggi....
                  --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X