Man, if this is true...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, if this is true...

I NEVER IN MY LIFE WILL BUY ANOTHER VIA PRODUCT AGAIN!!!

From www.tomshardware.com

Its launch as normal desktop processor has been expected for weeks now, but we will have to wait a bit longer, since AMD found some issues with Palomino running at 133 MHz (266 MHz DDR) FSB on many motherboards, specifically on those with VIA north bridges.
    I´m hoping to upgrade to a Palomino even if I only have a KT133A board (Asus A7V133).

But I must say I´m sick and tired of VIA´s half-hacked northbridge/soutbridge problems, bugs, uncompatibilities, turn-arounds, buggy drivers, you name it.

I bet when they design a chipset they don´t follow standards, if it works with the current product, okay by now, realease it.

Look at KX133. It didn´t support thunderbirds properly. Not the cpu fault, even the old AMD 750 can run thunderbirds just fine. KX133, AGP problems, 686B bug, buggy 4-1, usb not working on KT266 past 138 Mhz... aaarrrrghh!

And people wondered why I would only reccommend the original SlotA Athlon MB's with all AMD 751/756 chipsets!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I guess it depends on your perspective. I have an Asus A7V, no problems....OK, maybe one. When I boot up every 50th-100th time, the system hangs, but not sure if it is related to via. btw-I turn off my PC every night before bed.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

If the system hangs before the OS starts loading, 10 to 1 it's a VIA related problem. Hell, any problem is probably attributable to a VIA chipset - even motherboards that don't have VIA.

VIA might as well just change their corporate name to Scapegoat.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder how stable nForce will be. I'm considering replacing my motherboard and CPU early next year with this as a good contender.
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Depends if you trust our friend Tom at all. I couldn't find that quote have you got a direct link ?
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

2nd paragraph 5th line.

Kim
              P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
              Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Don´t get me wrong. My Asus A7V133 gets the job done as well. My previous A7V only gave me troubles (NEVER could get my G400 to work reliable at 2X despite it did so on a BX and a AMD 750) until it died. I risked and decided to gave Asus a second chance (to be honest not much of a choice ) and all went well.

Main thing is there always seems to be to kind of issue/uncompatibility with VIA chipsets every time something new arrives into the marked. Be it a video card, a cpu, a sound card, you name it.

I actually have seen reports of Palominos (Athon MP) running fine on A7V133, but one thing is the board to boot and identify the cpu, other is if there´s actually some issue that may render the system unstable. If AMD actually doesn´t certify the Palominos for use on every 133fsb socket A platform, if I buy one and it doesn´t work properly, what should I do? Blame VIA? the CPU? the Power supply? Motherboard bios? (if AMD tells palomino is not to be used on KT133A, they haven´t to support it on the bios anyway)

What really got on me nerves yesterday was to read "issues" and "VIA" on the same sentence for the 100th time

Comment

Working...
                X