Interesting Windows XP article...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Windows XP article...

...mainly because it's from the gamers over at Firingsquad. It's a good read, check it out:

Personally, I'm not too worried about WinXP. Having worked with it since Beta 1 and consulted with many other...um...testers...I can work around most of the WinXP pitfalls.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

It just comfirms what I have been saying all along XP sucks! Can anyone explain to me why anyone should upgrade to win XP??????
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
      It just comfirms what I have been saying all along XP sucks! Can anyone explain to me why anyone should upgrade to win XP??????
      The answer to that is because your ignorant about Microsoft so you think that upgrading to XP might be a good idea when in fact it never is. But we all know there are those few hardcore MS fans out there than believe in them. Sucks to be them.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Have you even used WinXP? This is the *best* general purpose OS that I have ever used. I'm sure most individuals who have used it will agree with me. (Maybe not here since almost everyone is on the AMD & Linux bandwagons)

Comment

Not me, and I'm running 90% Intel.

I used both versions and found it to be;

BLOATED, SLOW, and I HATE THE FISCHER PRICE INTERFACE, even if I can turn it off!!

Besides that the registration system is going to drive me NUTS. That alone will up the suicide rate.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
            Have you even used WinXP? This is the *best* general purpose OS that I have ever used. I'm sure most individuals who have used it will agree with me. (Maybe not here since almost everyone is on the AMD & Linux bandwagons)
            Ok, maybe I was a bit hasty in my post. But no I haven't tried it, and with all that I've heard about it, I'm not at all tempted to even go near it anytime soon. I usually get a corporate version of windows.

But before I try XP or a possible flaky beta version (remember the win98 beta fiasco?) I will wait till I get my corporate version. At least to avoid that stupid registration crap.

I know that most users think that it's pretty good and probably the best so far, I understand that, and I don't disagree, but with this OS, I get a bad feeling about it and I'd rather hold off for a while.

I'm just worried about those "extra" dillies that MS has been putting in to decrease piracy and hackers. I don't want to start a fight.

That's my opinion.

P.S: I'm a MURCER now!

Comment

No offense, but that was an incredible load of FUD. Pretty much every point in the article has been addressed.

Issue 1:
              I'm running Nero AND CDRWIN on XP RC2 with no problems. CDRWIN uses the Adaptec ASPI stack. The general rule seems to be, if XP includes a feature, they've left the API hooks exposed for 3rd party developers to build off of. Witness Stardock's Windowblinds and it's integration into the XP Appearances section.

Similarly, the only app that's been a problem for me so far has been QuickTime, and Apple has released a patch for IE 6 because it's their problem.

XP Firewall comments == FUD. No support, no reports of same (it's simple enough to run a local packet sniffer and see what's going out.)

Issue 2:
              MP3 encoders are not included because of licensing restrictions. Windows has NEVER had built-in MP3 encoding capabilities that I am aware of. If you really feel the need to rip MP3s using WiMP 8, there are instructions for registering MP3 encoders available on the web. Or, continue using MusicMatch, and hope you don't get one of the lovely "SafeDisc" encrypted audio CDs.

BTW, I use PowerDVD 3 for DVD playback.just fine. WiMP 8 won't pickup that there's DVD decoder software installed, as it's hooks seem to be tied to the Intervideo/Ravisent codecs.

Issue 3:
              First he complains about features being added, then he complains about stuff being pulled? NTBACKUP is alive and hella better than anything built-in to 9x. Multi-Monitor is available in all versions since RC1. MS Fax is still there and available.

The Plus! pack includes a few new games, new OpenGL screensavers, new Themes, and the following digital media stuff:
              Voice Command for WiMP8
              MP3/WAV to WMA converter (also available in WinAMP)
              CD Label Maker
              Speaker Enhancements for selected speakers
              Personal DJ to create custom WiMP playlists
              WiMP 8 skins and visualizations to match the new Themes
              That's it.

Issue 4:
              IE is uninstallable as of RC2.
              Mozilla 0.9.3 is running pretty good here
              The scripting suggestions, while solid, would likely involve breaking a good deal of the WMI work which MS is moving towards.

Issue 5:
              Don't like the ICF? Use Zone Alarm, but be aware that a Service Pack might break the hooks it uses, just like in 2000. At that point, it's the firewall provider's problem to fix it.
              Worried that MS stuff is leaking out? Run a packet sniffer and publicize the results.
              Passport: completely valid, but always optional.

Issue 6:
              Primary argument is flawed. Just because Johnny Consumer thinks the EULA should mean one thing doesn't make it true. Deal.
              The rest of the arguments on this issue are one step short of Ad Hominem. Valid concerns, but concerns only.

Conclusion:
              With re: to the power stuff, he needs to do some more fact checking. Cali's experiment died because Suppliers we're De-Regged while Providers (SoCalEd, et.al.) we're capped on what they could charge. It was a half-a**ed attempt at de-regulation. (For the record, i live in SoCal).

Comment

I´m not that thrilled about XP as I used to be. It´s almost like win95->win98. Every single win98 feature was kind of available as a patch to win95. Sure, at a point it become unbearable the amount of patches to apply

Someone tell me what´s the big diference between WinXP and Win2k + sp2 + Appupdate (introduces win9x compatibility mode) + Sound FX 2k (gives you sound even in old DOS games) + IE 6.0 + Zonealarm ? And please don´t tell 10 sec faster booting or Luna interface Stability isn´t an issue also with win2k, and that isn´t that difficult or time consuming installing all of the above (just make sure not to install IE 6 via windows update )

Comment

Well, nuno, there really isn't any super compelling reason to go from 2000 to XP. If the ICF and UI changes don't compel you (Fast User Switching is what got me), stick with 2000. XP is NT 5.1, after all.

My boss asked my opinion on moving or desktops to 2000 or XP, but we've already got some 2000 boxen out there. I don't see a huge business case, and can see a few points where it would make my life harder (User no 5 decides to turn on the ICF but doesn't tell me. Then they have a problem and I can't RDP to their machine to observe. Bad juju)

Comment

So much contreversy! Doesn't this thread just say it all about XP? I mean if were battling it out here just imagine when it releases!

This will definitely be fun to see!

By the way, I didn't read the whole article. And I don't always believe the stuff that's posted on the net either. I don't like the Fisher Price look and that is enough to turn me off to that OS.

I'm running WinME and it works fine, in fact it's the only OS so far that has ever run so well for so long for me! Why should I even try XP and ruin what I have now?

This XP crap is getting old and when it finally does come out... let's just wait and see!

P.S: I've seen Linux crash a few times on me, let's hope Microsoft gets it right this time!

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                      By the way, I didn't read the whole article. And I don't always believe the stuff that's posted on the net either. I don't like the Fisher Price look and that is enough to turn me off to that OS.
                      The OS is completely skinnable. If you don't like the Fisher Price look, try the sleek metallic look. If that doesn't get any oooo's or aaaaahhh's, then just wait for the skinning community to really make a skin that shines. Here's a pic of the silver metallic start bar using the XP Powertoys Audio Player:

I'm running WinME and it works fine, in fact it's the only OS so far that has ever run so well for so long for me! Why should I even try XP and ruin what I have now?
                      How about the OS *never* crashing. Only time I've seen it happen is due to half-assed drivers from VIA or Creative.

P.S: I've seen Linux crash a few times on me, let's hope Microsoft gets it right this time!
                      Microsoft is getting very strict about the digital driver signing. They want this OS to be super-stable. Let's see how long it takes VIA to release a Microsoft approved 4-in-1.

Comment

There is one good thing about XP: finally the home and "real" versions of MS OS use same kernel. It means, that there will be much more drivers available for it. Currently lot lof hard- and software that can't handle NT/W2K.
                        Still, this improvement will be noticable after a year or even bit later.

Comment

No problems with XP here

Yeah that silver look is cool. But i think its hilarious to go into system properties/advanced/performance settings and select best performance and it turns into Win2K. LOL

Comment

isochar: XP looks like it has real potential, I still want my corporate vesion first though.

The skinning thing is a good idea, there was something similar for win9x but it never worked properly. Don't remembe what it's called.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                              isochar: XP looks like it has real potential, I still want my corporate vesion first though.

The skinning thing is a good idea, there was something similar for win9x but it never worked properly. Don't remembe what it's called.
                              Windowblinds from Stardock software. Don't know about stability on 9x/Me, but it's pretty solid on 2000/XP. Some problems with Nvidia's broken 2D drivers, but that's getting better.

Windowblinds XP integrates into the Appearances tab on XP as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X