ARGH! Damn gamecity.net banners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH! Damn gamecity.net banners!

Is it just me or are the gamecity.net banners slowing down the site by 90%. Almost every time i try to access the site the gamecity.net banners timeout and prevent the rest of the site from loading. It's very annoying becuase I have to wait 5 minutes for it to timeout and use an old one from cache.

There is something really odd going on with the site. When I click on a thread (or anything), the screen goes blank, and that's it, except for the little globe spinning in the top right corner. The only way to get out of limbo is to hit the Back arrow and then to hit the Forward arrow. Oddly enough, this gets me to my original goal immediately. I suggest that other people try this if they are having trouble here. It's a "workaround", but obviously it shouldn't be necessary. I don't know where the fault lies, but it's a real nuisance.

If it makes any difference, I use IE5.

Comment

Alass, I thought it was just me.

I blamed this same problem on our company setup and network first. The person whom designed it here has probably done that after being drinking wodka, rum continuesly for a week and then thought, he lets setup a network and default computer installation.

Anyway. I agree. I only have this problem since yesterday the 23rd. Yesterday I thought that the server was maybe down as it was impossible for me to get access. Timed out continuesly. Refreshing or retrying didn't cure that. This morning it was there but access was extremely slow. Indeed as said already, click, a white screen for sometimes up to a minute or 2 and then the page appears.

But do you really think its caused by just one banner. I can't believe that. It seems more likely that a service provider is having congestion problems. Maybe some main traffic point is overloaded or whatever.

Just may 0.00000000001 cent thoughts on it. It'll probably solve itself in time.

Greets, Leon

Comment

Use the free text-mode browser 'lynx' and you'll never
        be annoyed by banner ads (especially those animated ones)
        ever again.

There's also Internet JunkBuster that acts as a
        proxy to Netscape and blocks out URLs that you choose.
        Also free, source included.

Comment

Working...
        X