Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVI plays in MediaPlayer but not on TV

Hello,

I have a question regarding the DVD-Max option of the Marvel G400.
    I have made an AVI from a DVD, using the MPEG4 video codec (actually, the DivX variant). I kept the original DVD-resolution of 720x576 (PAL).
    The AVI plays fine in Windows Media Player (and in PC-VCR), but it doesn't play on TV via the DVDMAX-option of the Marvel.
    The DVD itself plays fine to TV, playing it in a soft DVD player.

I noticed that when I make the AVI 704x576, it plays fine on TV! Anyone has an explanation for this?

Spielberg

Phil,

I must disagree with your statement that you can only play MATROX MJPEG files to TV. The 704x576 that I played to TV was encoded with the DivX (MPEG4) codec.

I thought that any AVI that is playable through the Windows Media Player (so any AVI for which a codec is installed on your system) can also be send to TV with the DVDMax option. As I have found out this is also not true.

I just wonder if the Marvel is unable to display AVI's bigger than 704x576 on TV??

Comment

Spielberg,

There are some limitations to DVDmax playing the videos out, but you are correct, it doesn't have to be in Matrox MJPEG or DVD in order to be played out to TV in full screen.

I have played MPEG1 and files coded in the standard Windows codecses out, and they came out ok.

Have you tried with 16bit desktop colour depth ?

Pertti

Comment

Switching ON the Dual Head Clone, DVD Max worked for me with MPEG1 (PAL 352x288), MPEG2, VCD, MPEG4-V3, using the PC VCR (PAL 704x576 etc). Maybe with the media player too, I dont't remember.
        My TV antenna in is connected to the VCR antenna out, and the BOB to VCR's SCART.

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Guys, you may need to check your driver revisions.

As I recall, Pertti and I both remarked on the fact that you could play virtually any video format thru the TV-O with the drivers that were shipped for G400Marv (I seem to remember saying so in my review). We did wonder if it was oversight on Matrox part

But I certainly wasn't engaging ANY of the dualhead modes at the time. IE running with dualhead OFF still pushed any AVI (MJPEG or not) thru the TV-O port.

Comment

You can only play MATROX MJPEG encoded AVI's back to the TV through the MARVEL. This is why your 704*576 AVI works - it is most likely using the MATROX MJPEG CODEC.

The only other way would be to have the screen displayed through theMARVEL onto the TV and then it should display any video - but you will also see the rest of the PC display.

The DVD option on the MARVEL allows you to play DVD's to a TV/monitor (as you have found out).
            Phil
            AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Chris, you are right, ofcourse, about ANY .avi MJPEG files, but I must say that the MPEG1, MPEG2 files outputed only sound for me, UNTIL I've read Haig's advice to angage the Dual head Clone. Now, I am happy with it. I mean ONLY when playing MPEG's.
              MSP6 with Mogan MJPEG codec also refuses the TV-out, when scrubbing, but not the Matrox codec. It works well.
              I understand that we are talking about only .avi files, not MPEG's
              I have 5.41 + 1.52 installed.

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 24 March 2000).]
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X