VIA, SBLive More Confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA, SBLive More Confirmation

Most of you kids probably know all this already. This link provides yet more confirmation of the ongoing incompatibility between Sound Blaster cards and VIA chipsets.

Indications are, VIA chipsets May not necessarily be bad, except when used in combo with the dreaded SB.

FWIW

Kevin

I can't access the viahardware site. My IE5 locks up (no answer) at this site.
    Is it an error in my IE5 or the sites fault?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

They might have had site problems. They seem to be okay now.

The upshot: six soundcards tested on three mobos.

SB Live Value
      TB Santa Cruz
      Phillips Seismic Edge 5.1
      Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6
      Abit AU10
      Onboard VIA AC '97

Biostar M7VIB (KT133A)
      Epox 8KHA (KT266)
      Shuttle AE25-R (i815 EP B Stepping)

Results: Only the SB Live produced audio skipping playing MP3s or data corruption on large file transfers. The data corruption could be prevented using the PCI Latency Patch available on the site, but the audio skipping remained. Of course, none of this comes as a surprise to anyone in this forum.

How do you like your setup?

Kevin

Comment

How do you like your setup?
        I am satisfied with my system.
        It is quit new, and I'm still testing.
        At the beginning have had some problems with the Matrox VideoTools, but it works now.
        The SantaCruz is fantastic! (Before, on my older computer, a K6/2-400 had a SB ISA card)

Fred H
        Last edited by Fred H; 29 August 2001, 10:04.
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I recently built a system with an Iwill KK266+ motherboard that has a SBLive (Value) in it. Thus far I've not seen any problems. I am not sure what exact conditions would cause these glitches, but I've tried downloading huge files while playing MP3s, and at the same time running basic applications, and there were no errors or skips. Perhaps my motherboard has a newer BIOS that fixes the problem? Or am I just not meeting the right conditions for errors?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianP
            I recently built a system with an Iwill KK266+ motherboard that has a SBLive (Value) in it. Thus far I've not seen any problems. I am not sure what exact conditions would cause these glitches, but I've tried downloading huge files while playing MP3s, and at the same time running basic applications, and there were no errors or skips. Perhaps my motherboard has a newer BIOS that fixes the problem? Or am I just not meeting the right conditions for errors?
            To get the "BUG" you have to go into "VIA-HATER" mode.

When you have convinced yourself that VIA and CREATIVE is EVIL the coruption from your mind will spread to your HDD and your MP3 collection.

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
            X