What exactly is frameserving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is frameserving?

Can someone explain to me what frameserving is and exactly why I would need to use it? I have tried reading some articles. but I don't really get it. THanks a lot.

Jason

No problem.

Frameserving is typically used with an MPEG encoder like TMPGEnc, Cinemacraft or a program like VirtualDUB. For these examples I'll use TMPGEnc since this program is a common target for frameserving.

Normally you would load an *.avi in and encode it to an MPEG. Simple enough.

When frameserving you are using an *.avs proxy script (text file) for a program like AVISynth to either;

1. load multiple sequential files (file.00.avi, file.01.avi etc.) off the HD for encoding into a single MPEG file. Handy for AVI_IO's segmented captures.

2. export the timeline of Premiere to TMPGEnc using the AVISynth Premiere plugin.

For these activities you would need;

TMPGEnc
    TMPGEnc's VFAPI plugin (file loaders)
    AVISynth (a scripting tool for executing *.avs proxy scripts)
    AVISynth Premiere plugin (only for exporting Premieres timeline to TMPGEnc)

Why not just install the Ligos MPEG plugin into Premiere? Easy;

Ligos costs $180-250 USD.

TMPGEnc and the rest of the frameserving software is free

TMPGEnc makes better MPEG's

You cannot do this with MSPro's timeline because Ulead, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't offer an open source SDK for MSPro. Even so the encoder included with the DVD Plugin, which is included in MSPro 6.5, is much better than 6.0's encoder.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 August 2001, 17:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Perfect. Thanks so much for the explanation. I am going to put this to use very soon - when I build my new system this fall. I wanted to capture using HuffYUV and then edit out the commercials. So then either using VDub or Prem, I will then frameserve directly to TMPEG.

Just so that I can make sure I get this - this will save me from creating an intermediate file (such as another HuffYUV file without the commercials) because I will be able to feed directly into TMPEG from either VDub or Prem?

THanks for your explanation Dr Mordrid. It was clear and detailed. Very appreciated.

Jason

Comment

VirtualDUB supports its own frameserver as well as AVISynth, so it's quite capable. FlaskMPEG can also use the AVISynth Premiere plugin, but it has to be renamed with a .flask extension. FLASK can also use the Ligos and Cinemacraft MPEG plugins.

More info can be found on;

I also have *.zip containing a detailed tutorial for frameserving with AVISynth covering Premiere and serving off the HD if you want it. It includes the AVISynth tool, its Preiere plugin and some sample *.avs scripts. Everything except for TMPGEnc.

AVISynth can do a lot more than just frameserve. It has built in filters that you can call from the scripts to smooge the video frame by frame before it hits the target application.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 August 2001, 15:36.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ahhh frameserving

hmmm...Verry Interrresting,

I too had been wondering about frameserving. I would be interested in reading that tutorial Doc, if you would send it to me please.

Will the filters you mentioned in AVISynth help to clean up the minimal boxy look of my mpeg-1 that I haven't been able to clear just TMPGEnc, or is it just the CBR limitation that leaves me with less than VHS quality?

Doc, I know you say you're getting at least VHS quality from your VCD's. Does this include full screen out of your Apex on your TV? Have you been able to increase your max CBR on VCD for playing in the Apex?

Thanks

Everyday, something bcomes a little more clear

Comment

Actually you can't get VHS quality out of VCD because it's not interlaced. As such you lose 1/2 of your vertical resolution. This also accentuates whatever block artifacts get.

Now....SVCD is another matter. Those can look better than VHS, and the really good ones are very close to low bitrate DVD in terms of perceived quality.

Now...for the block artifacts and how to minimize them in all rez's;

First go to the Settings/Quantize Matrix menu in TMPGEnc and check the box labeled "Soften block noise". Try the defaults first then try playing with it a bit.

Next enter the Settings/Advanced menu and check the box labeled "Noise reduction". If you doubleclick on the filters name you'll get a dialog box with some settings. Again, some practice is usually worth the time investment.

I'll send you the tutorial & files if you email me. I don't think I can do an attachment with the forums mail tool.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 August 2001, 15:33.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X