Dual Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Cards

Through needing more speed I was forced to buy a 3D Prophet 4500. Cheap and not a Nvidia card.
    Basically as I am sure you will understand I am missing Dual Head.
    Does anyone here sucessfully run a Kyro 2 with a PCI Matrox card (G400).
    Basically is it likely to work without too many problems.

I need two montors and would like a Matrox card back in my Machine.

I have GeForce and G450 PCI and they work flawlessly. Prophet 4500 is fine card and shouldn't have problems coexisting with G450 PCI.

Comment

The man has a Via chipset motherboard. IsnĀ“t bus master disabled on Matrox G450 pci cards when running on via chipsets? If so, bad choice.
      Last edited by Nuno; 28 August 2001, 11:08.

Comment

Darn! I assume everyone has Intel chipset as I do. You are right, G450 has issues with non-Intel chipsets.
        Here is what Matrox has to say about it:

For non-Intel chipsets, the G450 PCI does not support bus-mastering. While this lowers performance on synthetic benchmarks, it does not hinder the everyday usability of the card. Additionally, for the combination of G450 PCI and non-Intel chipsets, Open-GL acceleration and DVDMax are not supported.
        Matrox has identified certain instabilities when bus-mastering is activated on the combination of non-Intel chipset and the PCI version of the Millennium G450 series (model number G45+MDHP16DB).

Comment

Does anyone know what the issues are with the G450 PCI and non-intel chipsets? Is it the G450 that doesn't comply with PCI 2.1 or the chipset? I'd be very interested in knowing...

Does the G450 work by itself? Did you try changing the startup order in the BIOS? Maybe one of the windows drivers does not power up a secondary card properly. I've never tried it!

In any case, best of luck getting it going.

Comment

I have regretted getting my AMD chip since just after I pressed the order button on Over clockers. What more can go wrong.
            I haven't actually got another G400 yet so I think I will hold of and maybe buy another Kyro.

Cheers for letting me know that there may be issues.

I will only be using it for 2D (windows work) no 3D or anything stressful, how much of a performance drop are we talking here if I managed to get it working?

Comment

My experience.

I tried running a G450 PCI and a Geforce256 AGP and could never get the thing to work on my A7V (VIA KT133) with 800 Thunderbird.

I am setting up a 440BX system and I want to see if the problem goes away on an Intel system.

Comment

Working...
              X