WIN 2k everything is camping on IRQ 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN 2k everything is camping on IRQ 9

I just loaded win 2k pro and dual boot it with ME, So far I like 2k but this is the problems I am having Everything wants to camp out on irq 9. video, sound, NIC, modem, USB. ACPI. ME puts things on the IRQ that the bios assigns them. Just asking for some input before I start to experiment. Plus agp texturing is turned off in DXdig and can not be enabled SO dx games are slower. This problem may be caused by the IRQ sharing. Just looking for some input.

Thanks

Thank you all for the info it has helped, changed to standard PC everything on own IRQ now, still have sound problem when modem initialized must be a driver problem or sound card problem. Games run better now still have the agp texture disabled, Maybe it is suppose to be that way in WIN 2K. Thanks again for helping me with my new learning experiance.

DRED
    Last edited by DRED; 31 August 2001, 09:08.

You have ACPI enabled in Win2k and thus it is perfectly normal for all devices to be on the same IRQ.

Post up your system specs (hardware/software etc) so we can help in the texturing issue.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

This is normal.

Win2K uses ACPI differently than Win9x/ME etc. When running in ACPI mode it maps most everything through IRQ9. This can work with new hardware, but older hardware may choke on it and need ACPI turned off. Older mainboards too will often run Win2K better if ACPI is turned off. This is called the "Standard PC" mode.

If your hardware or mainboard chokes on ACPI then you can reinstall Win2K in Standard PC mode by;

1. turn off Power Management in the BIOS.

2. reinstall Win2K. When the installer first runs look for the first blue screen. When it prompts to press F6 to configure SCSI devices press F5 instead. This will take you to a menu. Pick "Standard PC" from it and resume the reinstallation.

Once in Standard PC Win2K will map IRQ's normally.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If you want to disable ACPI..

What the hell.. dont reinstall windows..

Just go to start->control panel->System->hardware setup.. and find the ACPI function in the harware list.. then just press reinstall driver -> select driver from a list -> Standard PC.. Apply and restart the computer..

Windows will then "find" all your hardware again and you might have to install some drivers again.. but after that you can put your can setup you hardware the way you want... ( usually meaning only matrox card at IRQ 11 ).

Cant check all the buttons ( im at work ) but i guess you know what i mean. I had some problems with my computer with two NICs installed so i did this trick and it helped alot.. my matrox card still sometimes gets crazy when i o'c but i can live with that for the next few days... then the other NIC is coming out and i'm going back to ACPI.

PeTe

Comment

DO you think it would help me here if i switch to Standard PC as well... as you described !?

NIC PAIN !
          Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
          PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
          SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
          IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
          IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
          Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
          Marvel G200 TV
          Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
          HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
          Creative Infra48 CD ROM
          Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
          Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
          21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
          Firewire card
          Mini USB hub
          8 port Compex 10/100 hub
          Sandisk Reader - USB
          Cordless Logitec Mouse
          Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
          HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

Plus agp texturing is turned off in DXdig and can not be enabled SO dx games are slower
            do you have the remote desktop sharing icon in the taskbar?
            suggest that you read this!

Comment

dizzy,

Really cant say, but it really doesnt hurt to try ? If it doesnt fix the damn thing you have your system back to the starting point in couple minutes.. just reinstall that Standard PC driver to ACPI driver. It might be that i have some other problem too that doesnt help ( Got a Abit KT7 + Sb128PCI + 2 NICs, maybe thats just asking for troubles.. but with that fix i got it working ok. )..

Btw, i dont understand why people complain about Abit mobo's.. if you want to tweak&o'c and you buy a Abit... you really should know what to do and get it working all right.. it's really not that hard.

PeTe

Comment

Originally posted by PeTe
                dizzy,

Btw, i dont understand why people complain about Abit mobo's.. if you want to tweak&o'c and you buy a Abit... you really should know what to do and get it working all right.. it's really not that hard.

PeTe
                That was easy! They are unstable and I have seen over 50 (to many to count could as well be over 100) Abit mobos with blownup caps. often just after the (lousy) 1 year (all good mobos have 3) waranty have expired! Oh and allmost all of the mobos have not been OCed!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

1. You can go from ACPI -> Standard in device manager, but not the other way - it will hose your system.

2. Why do people start fiddling about with a new OS without reading the FAQ's?

3. No, changing from ACPI to Standard is NOT likely to fix your texturing issue.

4. Losing the degenerate ABIT board is a more likely solution.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm,

Do you really read all the FAQ:s and manuals ? BUAAAAH. Well didnt know that i cant go back to ACPI from device manager, good to know that .. was going to do that next weekend.. So Dizzy, if you try this one out.. watch it.

And the ACPI -> standard PC helped with my problems with matrox card, but this related to the 2 NIC cards and o'clocking too. And did i say that it will help with the texture thingy, NO. I just said that:

1) You dont have to reinstall windows 2000 to get that damn ACPI off.
                    2) It MIGHT help with the 2 NIC+IRQ-problem what was allso talked about in there.

And finally.. Atleast for me ALL Abit mobo's have worked OK, maybe alot of the rest complaing dont really know what they are doing.

PeTe

Comment

Pete - I wasn't hacking on you in particular.

But...

Abit motherboards are of poor quality. IF you luck out and get a good one (50/50) you will be quite happy. If not, you're SOL.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the help and the info

DRED

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Pete - I wasn't hacking on you in particular.

But...

Abit motherboards are of poor quality. IF you luck out and get a good one (50/50) you will be quite happy. If not, you're SOL.

- Gurm
                          Wats your opinion on Aopen boards then?
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                          X