P3B-F question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3B-F question

Every since upgrding to PIII 850 on boot the BIOS (1006) always reports "incorrect CPI ID = 0000686" or something like that.

I've checked the CPU is a genuine PIII 850 using Intels Processor Frequency ID utility. I thought that my ABit Slotket III may of caused the problem, so I bought an Asus S370-DL, but I still get same error message.

I don't have any problems with the system and all seems to work fine, but I do wonder "why" and besides I don't like error messages!

Thanks,

Rob.

seems like your motherboard's BIOS doesn't have the coppermine cC0 stepping microcode yet, because 686 id is the cC0 stepping

Comment

DOC help

The DOC seesm to have been running on that setup for a while check with him !
      Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
      PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
      SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
      IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
      IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
      Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
      Marvel G200 TV
      Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
      HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
      Creative Infra48 CD ROM
      Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
      Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
      21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
      Firewire card
      Mini USB hub
      8 port Compex 10/100 hub
      Sandisk Reader - USB
      Cordless Logitec Mouse
      Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
      HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

My P3B-F/PIII-850 systems with the 1006 BIOS have worked fine for a LONG time. I'm using both the Asus Smart Slot 1 and the Gigabyte 6R7 slotkeys.

PIII E(B), revision 8, stepping 3

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hmm, well I've had a twiddle in the BIOS and disabled the "BIOS Update" option and I don't get the message now ;-)

Rob.

Comment

I've got a similar situation with my Asus CUBX board (with BIOS version 1006). I've just upgraded and installed a Celeron 900MHz processor and 1024Mbs of PC133 RAM. The processor is recognized as 900 MHz and the full compliment of RAM is also recognized. The computer seems to run properly. However, I now get this message during boot up:

<BIOS:> BIOS update data incorrect. CPUID=0000068A,

As Rob mentioned earlier, disabling BIOS Update in the BIOS menu eliminates this message during booting up, but of course that's not correcting anything. It's just masking the problem (if there's indeed any real problem).

What's of more concern to me is the alarm window that opens up every four seconds if I have Asus PC Probe running. It states:

Invalid floating point operation

Anybody have any idea what that's all about?
            Last edited by Patrick; 28 August 2001, 16:34.

Comment

To quote from the P3B-F manual, re [BIOS UPDATE]

"This functions as an update loader integrated into the BIOS to supply the processor with the required data. In the default position of [Enabled], BIOS will load the update on all processors during system bootup."

Well that clears that up... ;-) What on earth does that mean!

Patrick, I have no ideas on your FP error... Is there a later version of the Asus Probe? Maybe it's a bug?

Comment

Last month I put a P3/750 in my brother-in-laws P3B-F board.
                The same problem. I set the bios to manually select the bus speed because it kept trying to boot at 66mhz. This worked for a few weeks, but now it crashes after runing for 20 minutes. The guy who built the system is saying its because the processor isn't recognized and isn't running at the correct voltages. He actually claims the processor is bad, but it ran for a month in my Epox board without a single problem.
                Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Rob, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Asus PC Probe this afternoon but it didn't make any difference. So it's still a mystery. Even though you get a similar message in your BIOS as I do when booting, I take it that you don't get the same alarm message as I do when running Asus PC Probe. Is that right?

Comment

When you guys updated your BIOS's did you reload the defaults and reset all your settings? This stops problems due to an entry point in the program changing.

BIOS updating 101.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mynx, might your brother-in-law have an older P3B-F? I have an early revision P3B-F that supposedly does not have the necessary hardware to get the voltage right for anything higher than 600Mhz.

I have a P-III 450Mhz on mine now, and I abandoned a plan to try an upgrade to 1Ghz recently. Reports are, mine won't work stably beyond 600Mhz even with the FC-PGA handling the voltage setting. The P3B-F would, for example, run the 1Ghz chip at 600Mhz to suit its design, or, just refuse to boot.

When I was plotting the upgrade, I found info somewhere which said revision 1.03 or higher of the P3B-F can be upgraded as high as 1Ghz. I have also gotten many other opinions saying I should force the upgrade on the board and overclock and all sorts of other stuff, but I have not tried any of it. I just face the reality that, when it comes to computers, what you bought is not nearly as important as when you bought it.

Comment

Ummm.... sure, Doc.

I've never heard any of this before. I guess I should try it.

Comment

LOL Doc!

No clue, how about you?!
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

dchip: How do you Identify which board revision it is? Can it be done without opening the case.
                            Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                            Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

I think you need to open the case and check a sticker oir silkscreen on the board.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X