Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gurus this way...

THIS IS A LONG ONE!!!!

new system as below running Win 2K SP2 (5.00.2195)...
    system just keeps crashing with the following (or similiar) STOP errors! i've only just freshly reinstalled the OS because the last time ALL apps just crashed (started off with only a few, but soon they would all crash within 30 seconds max of opening!) i'd installed IE6beta & some windows updates, so put it down to them (because IE was the first app to start crashing!) but couldn't uninstall them (as the add/remove utility would crash!)
    this install seemed to be going ok with only an occasional (but still too many by my account) app crash, then these stop errors began! i've only got the most basic of things installed... powerdesk, modem/printer/scanner drivers & Office 2K SP1! this fresh install has been runnning for just under 24 hrs now - the crashes seem to take hold & then start snow-balling! i ran virus checks & defragged etc last time - but now i'm at wits end! MBM gives me CPU temps of ~45 degrees!
    it's ok while i do (very, very) basic stuff like writing in notepad (i had to write this offline to save on reboots!) i can't find any info i the win2K help, & can't keep IE alive long ebough to search the microsoft site adequately!

THIS IS WHY IT"S ON THE MURC SITE!

the G400 is the only old component (excluding the CD-R & CD-Rom) but has never given me trouble since i bought it new! i don't fully get this Stop error message below ---> why does it specifically mention video adapters? win32k.sys is usually mentioned as the culprit - i dunno why!

HELP anybody?!? exactly which BIOS settings should i be playing with?!? due to a lack of experience i'm reluctant to flash BIOS's without good reason ---> would/could this help!

=============================================

***STOP: ...numbers... DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

or

*** STOP: ...numbers... KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    ***Addess A0020365 base at A0000000, DateStamp 3aa010b4 - win32k.sys

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop mesage, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

=============================================

Athlon 1.4Ghz 266FSB (C)
    EPOX 8K7A+
    2 x 256Mb KingMax PC2100 DDR-RAM
    2 x 20Gb WD 7200 HDD (RAID 0 array)
    Matrox G400 32Mb DualHead (BIOS v1.9.033 & Powerdesk 6.32.011)
    Midi-ATX case with standard 300W PSU
    NetComm 56k Internal Modem
    Skymaster Ethernet Card
    HP 7100i CD-Burner
    Mitsumi 32x CD-ROM
    2 x 19" Viewmaster Flat CRT's (each @ 1152x864 16bit 85Hz)

i made a similiar post at the hardware.central forums in case you've already seen it there!
    Last edited by gazah; 26 August 2001, 19:42.
    i don't have specs...
    'cause i don't have a computer

There are other people that can help you a lot more with W2K than I can.

However, if the G400 is the only old component, then I'd be suspect of the new ones.

Start with the RAM. One stick, then the other. Use multiple sockets to troubleshoot.

Also, pull out the NIC, and CD-ROM's. Try to get the system to a barebones config, and see if it's stable.

300W is only good enough for this system if it is a Good power supply.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

thanks...

since the original post i pulled out 1 stick of memory & the ethernet card & no longer have those nasty app crashes & system reboots!

however, the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE persists on EVERY shutdown & reboot!

i know the MURC forum is probably not the place, but given the thread is already active i'd be happy to hear comments!

cheers

g
      i don't have specs...

Comment

It sounds to me like it was the memory. Tonight I even had the same thing and I traced it to a brand new stick of PC133 RAM I got last weekend. I got rid of it and it works fine.

The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE stop error is possibly caused by a slightly corrupt driver. I had that happen once, when more bad memory corrupted the windows drivers, but not so bad that windows would detect it. First try reinstalling SP2, if that doesn't work, then try a quick repair in the Win2k install. Then reinstall SP2 over that.
        P=I^2*R
        Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

taaa...

i agree, probably the memory! have still yet to test it with only the second stick (major it's bad / maybe win2k doesn't like so much ddr) hmm......

as for the win2k repair - i trie ti once, but it just dumped me at a command prompt! is there an automated repair function? do you run it fomr within windows, or reboot from the win2k cd like on first install?

cheers all

g
          i don't have specs...

Comment

Relocated to the General Hardware/Software forum.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yes there is an automatic repair function. You need to boot off the install CD, and select the second option: "To repair a Windows 2000 installation, press R."

The next screen shows two options: C for the recovery console, and R for the emergency repair process. Select R.

Then there are two more options. Manual and Fast repair. Select fast. This will install everything the OS needs back to original versions. It will prompt you for a rescue disk. You need to create one by going to the backup utility within Windows and selecting the button that says "Create Rescue Disk".

After the whole process is done, reinstall SP2.

See how that works.
              P=I^2*R
              Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Working...
              X