Dropped Frames Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped Frames Question

I am using Mystique 220/Rainbow Runner Studio combo with Sound Blaster Live! MP3 card. I have been trying to isolate the reason for sporadic dropped frames (1 dropped frame about every 30-60 seconds). When capturing without sound using AVI_IO I get 0 dropped frames. When I capture sound, then I get the occassional dropped frame.

Is this acceptable? Will my video suffer from it??

Also has anyone tweaked any settings specific to the sound card in their system?? I have done all the tweaks and settings found on this site. I am using an Abit BP6/433 Celeron/128mb PC100.

Thanks!

Hi,

I fear that the occasional drop with the RRS is a fact of life, especially when used with the SBLive!

I, too, have the RRS/SBLive! combination and can capture perfectly at full resolutions without sound, with sound, well, that’s a different story.
    I find that I can capture with sound and without drops, if my source is Hi 8. However, if I capture TV from composite video or tuner, I get horrendous “batch” drops at full res (usually on very white or very dark screens) and so I have to knock it back to 352x576. Here I get the odd drop as you report and find that sometimes I notice them and sometimes I don’t! It’s as hit and miss as that.
    I’ve tried moving my SBLive to a different PCI slot, but still the odd drop happens. I’ve recently start capturing sound at 48kHz as that’s the internal frequency of the
    SBLive! I’ll try anything once!

One thing I noticed when capturing with Virtual Dub, which displays the audio details, is that the audio frequency does wander a hell of a lot!? So maybe that does point to the SBLive, and a soundcard with a rock solid frequency would be the best bet.

Any ideas anyone!

Regards,

Nick.

Sys: Win98se, P3 450, 128 RAM, Aopen AX6B+ m/b, SBLive, Teac 56 CDR, Aopen 48x CDROM, Fujitsu 4.3 boot drive, Quantum bigfoot 12GB, Maxtor 40GB 5400. Powerdesk 4.31, Videotools 2.10. plus cheap PCI modem!

Comment

Hey Nick,

Thanks for confirming what has been driving me crazy. In a way I am glad it's not something I missed but now I am sorry I purchased that card. Oh well. I too have tried all the slots with no luck. Have you found any difference capturing at 48kHz?

Anyone else have this combo with a different sound card and not experiencing dropped frames?!?!

Thanks,

Wayne

Comment

Hi Wayne,

Just got back from work.

AVI_IO has recorded BBC2 via composite video from cable box (2 Simpsons’ Episodes, uncut –Sky take note) and having captured at 352x576,4.1;1, 48kHz stereo, 46 minutes….. no drops reported! I suspect though that this is a rare result.
        What I have done recently is, rather than close all programs via Cont/Alt/Del before capture, I’ve used Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Tools/System Configuration Utility/Startup and unchecked everything except Scan Registry and System Tray. And I always reboot before capturing or, indeed, playing out to video from the MSPro5.2VE timeline. You know how temperamental Windows can be!

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Nick.

Comment

Working...
        X