Premiere or MSP6 for Mpg1/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere or MSP6 for Mpg1/2

which is better for editing Mpg1/2 videos. I currently use DV for most work on a DV500 Plus system. I also used to edit in the past on the good old G200 Marvel TV quite a bit. Now i want to make use of a good priced card that captures Mpg1 for making VCDs. So if i capture Mpg1 from lets'a say a SNAZZI VCD Creator card, where shall i edit MSP or Premiere for better results, output ...etc ?
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

I don't think either will do very well, as neither supports MPEG as a project "type" target. Meaning, the MPEG you import will be converted to the project's codec and after editing you'll have to reconvert back to MPEG. Besides being slow, unless you have the DVD update, MSP6 MPEG encoder produces crap, the Cleaner5 bundled with Premiere6 is even worse! Neither comes close to TMGPEnc IMHO, so your editied result will likely be much worse than what you started with.

I don't know how Snazzi MPEG captures compare to DV converted with TMPGEnc.

You need something that restricts the cuts to I frame boundries and only decodes--re-encodes transitions and overlays. IFilmEdit is supposded to do this, but I've never tried it.

--wally.

Comment

MPEG is best done by capturing analog at high bitrates (HuffYUV, PICVideo MJPeg at quality=20 etc) then encoding it after the edit.

The Marvel eTV captures YUY2, which in turn can be encoded to HuffYUV or PICVideo MJPeg during the capture. These can then be edited in MSPro and exported at good quality using the DVD Plugin.

The DVD Plugins MPEG-1 is less than stellar, but the the real emphasis should be on MPEG-2 anyhow for SVCD and use with the new DVD burners. For those it works nicely. It's quality is not up to TMPGEnc (whatthehell is?), but it's close enough and for most projects. Most users probablly won't be able to tell the difference.

Now....if only MSPro had *avs file support so we could frameserve TMPGEnc.....

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 August 2001, 13:58.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X