DualHead and TwinView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualHead and TwinView

What is the main difference? I tested out a Radeon VE last night and it was real fun messing with it. Playing Diablo II on one side of my screen while watching some friends episodes on the right side. I remember hearing something like TwinView has to have the same resolution on both screens... Well I didn't get a chance to try anything else, but the two monitors shared one desktop, I wasnt sure if it was possible to get two different desktops on the monitors. So I had a wide resolution, something like 1024x1536. (This was in Windows 2000 too, the drivers seemed stable). So what are the main differences between the DualHead and TwinView?
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
    Generic DVD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
    3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
    Windows ME
    6.20 G400 Drivers

I don't think the twinview lets you get 'true' dual head in win2k - you'll always have the desktop stretched across both screens. Microsoft said that this is the only way it'll ever be in win2k, yet Matrox proved them wrong. I'm currently using in win2k my first monitor at 1280x960x32 @ 85Hz, and my 2nd screen at 1024x768x32 @ 85Hz. My start bar stays on the first screen, and maximising windows only maximises to the current screen too

Comment

my experience is that 3d acceleration is really slow on the secondary monitor, on my g400 max.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
        my experience is that 3d acceleration is really slow on the secondary monitor, on my g400 max.
        It is slower on the 2nd head if you use true DH - use the same thing that twinview does - i.e. one desktop stretched across both screens, then it performs just as good as the primary screen.

Comment

DualHead and TwinView What is the main difference?
          Matrox developed Dualhead, nVidia stole it from them. Hence Twinview is at least one generation behind what Matrox has and lacks many features of their technology.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X