Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly a stupid web-authoring question

Hi
    I went to a wedding at the weekend, came home Sunday, knocked up a very simple web page, uploaded it and all the photos to a website, and then...the changes aren't visible - WTF.

I uploaded using FTP voyager to upload.ntlworld.com/andrews.tony the url should be homepage.ntlworld.com/andrews.tony, but it still looks the same as before. The page in question is photo.htm. It should be a list of files, not the standard Frontpage template. I've checked the ftp site using two different FTP apps from two different locations and the files appear to be there. Any clues?

I've been waiting for a response from NTL for 3 days now...

Cheers

Tony.
    FT.

Only suggestion I have is try d/l your photo.htm by ftp and see what it really is. My guess is that for some reason your new photo.htm file didn't overwright the old one.

Good luck

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Thanks Sasq. That was the 1st thing I did. It was obvious anyway from the file size. It is there on the upload site, but no change when viewed normally.

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

tony pop into #murc or icq me on 12290348
        Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hi Sasq

I just installed ICQ2000b and I've tried contacting you, but I'm doing something wrong I guess. My ICQ is 128075256 if you care to try.

cheers

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

try naming the the file index.htm so it becomes the default for browsers when they visit the url
            1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
            Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
            Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

the only thing i can see is that the template is still calling the default images and is showing them?
              i have no experience with FP...can you edit the template and view the source code?
              one thing to check is to make sure your images were uploaded to the same folder that way you wont have to type in a url to locate the images
              or it could something as simple as not having saved the template file when you added the new images thus front page used the default images
              p.s nice layout

Look for this in your source code and rename the defualts with your own image file names

Replace these images with your own

!--msthemeseparator-p align="center"img src="_themes/strtedge/strrulee.gif" width="600" height="10"
              A nice sunset:
              p align="left"img src="images/sunset.gif" width="200" height="302">
              A great city:
              img src="images/city.gif" width="200" height="300"themes/strtedge/strrulee.gif

hope this helps
              DFI NFIIUltra 400
              756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
              Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
              Windows XP pro
              msn messenger id: gchisel
              Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

It doesn't sound like it would be a permissions problem.....

Could it be a cache problem? Could ntl possibly be sending out a cached version rather than the most recent version? I wouldn't think that would be desirable....but stranger things have happened....

Maybe a case-sensitivity problem? I doubt it, but it's worth the suggestion....

Have you tried creating the HTML files yourself, manually using notepad or the likes?

And the age-old tech support question......Is it plugged in?

b
                Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Interesting, I can access your images directory where there are 4 things, _vti_cnf/, city.gif, frontpag.gif, and sunset.gif. Entering the _vti_cnf/ folder reveals city.gif, frontpag.gif, and sunset.gif again, but they appear to be headers of some sort.....

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

no no the template didnt save his changes and when he uploaded the file it called for the defualt ones. all he has to do is replace the default image names with his new ones and itll show the wedding was enjoyed by all
                    (or how drunk uncle harry really was
                    DFI NFIIUltra 400
                    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                    Windows XP pro

Comment

we were working through it last night.
                      Tony even delteted the the photo.htm file. and uploaded his own again. - from memory we even tried renaming it to something else and the file couldn't be found.
                      Nor could we load the photo's by typinging in the direct path ie http://.../photo.jpg

It appears it was doing some sort of cacheing - why I don't know

Dan

edit: fixed the non-existant link
                      Juu nin to iro

Comment

hmm the website is there and the default images are there so the html file should be there....strange...
                        if you renamed the page photo.htm to something else????
                        the main page wont link to it because you need to change the link in index.html and that page was last updated july 29 at 11:00
                        hopefully just changing the link to what you now call it will help but in ftp you should see all your files
                        so try editing index.html point to the new photo page you tried to set up even if you cant see it.
                        DFI NFIIUltra 400
                        756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                        Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                        Windows XP pro

Comment

Can you telnet to the machine and run commands on it locally? I notice it's runnin Apache, but don't know the OS. If you can telnet in, or get some kind of terminal open on the machine, try creating HTML files on the site manually and see if that even works. If that doesn't work then there's definitely a conspiracy against you and/or us.

If that does work, then I'd think the problem lies elsewhere....I don't know much about FP, but I do know that I don't like it too much.

b

Comment

I never ftp'd in so i'm honestly not sure, but he could see his new page there, and the photo's. but when accessed by the web server it just wouldn't produce the new page.
                            we tried calling the pics and pages directly but to no avail.

Our only guess was the ftp server is on a different machine and the directory is mirrored - why and how I have no idea.

And for some reason the mirroring was down.

PUzzled as everyone else

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

It was stupid

Thanks for all the help!

I found the problem - you have to upload to a directory called docs and everything is relative to that. andrews.tony is a subdirectory under that, but is NOT the root of my site - DOH!

You can now all look at the piccies if you want (I'm not in any) and see where the conditions weren't right for my Fuji MX-700. The original photos used much less compression but would have filled the site.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Tony.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X