Weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problem

Ok here is my problem: I have partitioned my hdd and my c: is 2GB in size (although some people say that size doesnt matter I dont agree!)

Winme is telling me that my c: is running low on space, but when I uninstall something or delete it from c: the free amount of space doesnt change much, and I have even experienced that the free amount of space gets smaller after doing an uninstall!!

I have run Nortons diskdoctor and wipespace, and Im currently at 50MB of free space (been as low as 16MB).

What is going on? Does anyone know what files I can safely delete? Among other things Im thinking of deleting the *.cab files in the windows directory, is this incredibly stupid or just brave?

I really hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

thx
    Jesper
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Hi Grego

Have you done all the obvious things like empty the recycle bin, clear out your temporary internet files, remove files from the TEMP directory? Is your disk cache getting out of hand? Many here recommend CacheManager (v5?), but I haven't tried it yet.

I would have thought you can remove the .CAB files safely, you'll just have to provide the OS CD more often. Can someone else confirm that as I haven't used ME much.

Is this perhaps something to do with the Roll-back facility of ME?

HTH

Tony.
    FT.

Comment

Have you done all the obvious things like empty the recycle bin, clear out your temporary internet files, remove files from the TEMP directory? Is your disk cache getting out of hand? Many here recommend CacheManager (v5?), but I haven't tried it yet
      Yes I have, and I have also installed CM v5, but it has changed a lot since the previous versions, so maybe I should try running it again.

Is this perhaps something to do with the Roll-back facility of ME?
      I have had the same thought, but to my knowledge I have switched this option off, will doublecheck however.
      System:
      AMD Thunderbird 800
      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
      WinME
      directx 8.0a
      384mb pc133

Comment

God I hate Windows!

I had turned off the rollback feature, but when using Nortons sysinfo I found out that this &%"Q¤#% piece of software uses about 1GB for this even though I turned it off, and it hides this from me, it doesnt give up some space even when Im down to 616KB of free space, god this sucks!

Now to go reclaim some space from the virus also known as WinMe

Ok this took about 2 minutes and I went from about 33MB to 1.1GB
        Last edited by Grego; 22 August 2001, 01:35.
        System:
        AMD Thunderbird 800
        Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
        IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
        Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
        WinME
        directx 8.0a
        384mb pc133

Comment

Glad to have helped a little. What exactly did you do to reclaim the space (for future reference)?
          FT.

Comment

Deleted everything in _RESTORE folder ... well thats what i did At the time ...
            Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

don't you just love ME!

Comment

Originally posted by omegaRED
                Deleted everything in _RESTORE folder ... well thats what i did At the time ...
                yes a quick and easy solution Unfortunately I tried format c: once before and was approaching this point again, luckily I found out before using the universal cure for windows
                System:
                AMD Thunderbird 800
                Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                WinME
                directx 8.0a
                384mb pc133

Comment