Joint stereo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint stereo?

Has anyone here ever made their own Joint Stereo cable? my VCR only takes 2 composite and i was wondering if i could do the wiring myself to make a joint stereo cable :P it comes in like mono into my tv-in just with 2

Choose the correct word(s) for each word set:

Hi, I'm Phire, and my VCR puts out (mono / stereo) audio. My TV accepts (mono / stereo) audio. This is when I use (separate plugs for video and audio / one (RF) cord for the connection). The trouble with this is (I can't get stereo from my TV set / my VCR won't record in stereo / fill in your own response here). What should I do?

Comment

When i first saw phire's post i thought it was about mpeg encoding.

And after reading fluggo99's ironic reply i almost lost it

Phire if you got a VCR that's only has one sound output then it's a mono.
      then you conect it to the RIGHT sound input.
      And the other way around.

No cable in the world can combine a stereo input (4 cables, two ground and two active) to a mono (one ground and one signal)and then back.

If your VCR IS a stereo then it has a DIGITAL output who shouldent work at all with a RRS, RRG, Marvel, G400TV.

Joint stereo is a MPEG encoding option

fluggo99 your reply is funny for those who get's the picture but is cruel and (fill in your own) against Phire

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      192 MB RAM CAS2
      43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Actually, there are cables that do this also, I bought one on the weekend. Though they aren't called Joint Stereo cables.. They are called Stereo-to-Mono cables which put 1 channel of sound into both channels.. Although its not real stereo it's still better than regular mono. And I know software can accomplish this also.

Comment

Actually, I hadn't meant it to be cruel. I was trying my best to understand what he meant. Honest!

"Joint stereo" and stereo-to-mono are very different things.

"Joint stereo" is a term applied to MPEG audio encoding-- it means that both left and right channels are squeezed into the same space. Similarities between the two are used to help compress it more. Normal stereo encoding keeps the two channels separate, which reduces weird encoding noises.

Stereo-to-mono takes the left and right channels of a stereo signal and mixes them together into one (1) mono signal. Where MPEG's joint stereo encoding can pull the two channels back apart again, you can't do the same to a mono signal. Much like the difference between making a sandwich and using a blender.

If your VCR or TV has one channel labeled mono (like "Left (Mono)"), use a single cable to attach the two. Otherwise, use your stereo-to-mono cable.

As far as making one, you've got me. :P

Comment

Working...
          X