Damn Win 95 Display drivers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Win 95 Display drivers!

One of the clients at the shop has an older system he upgraded himself to windows 98.

He has an older Diamond Speedstar 64 2MB vid card (with a windows 95 driver set and InControl Tools)

He decided that the new win 98 drivers (which are mentioned by diamonds/SonicBlue's/S3's website as the best choice) weren't that great because of the lack of the tools.

After he installed the drivers and tools he proceeded to utilize the Viewport Desktop (Virtual Desktop Style Tool)

Windows 98 Doesn't support Virtual Desktops natively but the stupid software let him enable the smaller desktop which he thought was cool for a moment, (Hey... look at me pan all around)

Tiring of this he went to change it back and found out that he couldn't disable it or even increase the Viewport settings.

That's when he gave me a call.

I have spent most of the past 3 hours working on this stupid piece of junk trying to disable whatever got changed when the InControl Tools Took Effect.

Its enough to make a starting to go bald me pull whats left of my diminishing hair out.

At this moment I am doing a overlay reinstall of Windows 98 in the hopes that it might set the display back to defaults.

Sigh... time to go get a coffee and maybe read the paper.
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

... yet another horror story and why I for one am glad Diamond doesn't make any computer hardware now.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

As an update... I sold the guy an 8MB Matrox G200 PCI SD we had kicking around the shop.

He phoned to say how much better everything was

Now that diamond card is in my linux box to replace the SIS 6326 that doesn't work in linux (Graphically) at all.
      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Have I told about the guy that wanted us to downgrade his computer from W98 to W95 because he couldent install Plus! for win 95 on Windows 98?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
        X