PDA

View Full Version : Some THINK-info.

Rattledagger
21st August 2001, 16:49
First, welcome to all new members.
The team is currenly upto 33 members, and is on #240 by points.

The newest client seems stable, and if you get one of the current RAS-proteins, you'll really fly. A normal seti-wu will use more than double the time.

Since THINK running together with Seti or Genome only uses 1%-cpu-power, you can still keep up your current production in these projects. A THINK-wu is awarded nearly as Machine-score * run-time / 5. A wu running in the background will therefore give many points.
Note, if you're only running for some hours/day, this will probably not work, since THINK still doesn't save except after every major molecule. There can be 100 sub-molecules per major, and 200 major-molecules in a wu.

There's no native caching-support, but UD Monitor can do this. Look at http://distributed.fromru.com/udprog-e.htm

Another shortcoming is that there's no multi-cpu-support, and you can't run multiple instances either. You can work around this problem either with Terminal Server or WinXP.

If you aren't a member, but wants to help Oxford searching for a cure for cancer, download the client at http://members.ud.com/download/gold/
After installing, registering and starting chrunching, goto http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=A7E31EA8-7232-4363-8C8E-96A534FB1BCD and join MURC. :)

Apart from this, you should check your Device-Manager-Profile, and change Hard Drive space to allocate to 10 GB. Don't be afraid, the client will not use more than 50 MB.
You should also take a look on "My Member Profile", and atleast set a country. If not, you'll be part of the "Antarctic"-club... :)

The club-stats is updated around 00:30 GMT, while other stats is updated every 4 hours.

For the 4 members that haven't returned a single result in over a month, now should be a good time to pump out the first result...

Rattledagger
21st August 2001, 17:02
Guru, with a little re-formatting you could probably put some of this as file-links and quick-start-guide...
For official FAQ's, point to http://members.ud.com/support/index.htm

spazm_1999
21st August 2001, 17:35
Originally posted by Rattledagger
Since THINK running together with Seti or Genome only uses 1%-cpu-power, you can still keep up your current production in these projects. Is that true on win95B or it's only for win2k?

Spazm

Wulfman
22nd August 2001, 00:25
can somebody tell me why the client thinks I have a realtek NIC?

gives me only 19 points...

mfg
wulfman

Wulfman
22nd August 2001, 01:24
Originally posted by spazm_1999
Is that true on win95B or it's only for win2k?

Spazm

Win98SE: ghclient 80-85%, UD 8-10%

mfg
wulfman

Rattledagger
22nd August 2001, 14:57
The net-detecting is buggy, and is weighted unreasonably high compared to the rest of the system. You didn't say that you're actually connected to the internet with, but 19 is probably an ok score.
If for some reason the net-measuring craps out, you'll get a score of 100. Before, you could get over 1000...

Rattledagger
22nd August 2001, 15:03
BTW, welcome wulfman and spazm1999

spazm_1999
22nd August 2001, 15:30
Thanks Rattledagger, but i don't know it i'll be able to send the think work unit back after it's processed since it does'nt seem's to work too well with my proxy.

Spazm

Rattledagger
22nd August 2001, 16:31
Well, I'm not sure, but I think you can return a wu, if you managed to download a wu.

UD uses port 80 and 443.

spazm_1999
22nd August 2001, 16:39
I did not download the wu with that machine.... i just installed it and did a cut and paste of think installed in an other pc so that the wu would be in it. I think it's some sort of limitation of win95b 'cuz the problem isn't present on win98/win98b/win2k...

Spazm

Wulfman
23rd August 2001, 00:29
thanks rattle,
I am connected to the net with a dsl line (512/64).

mfg
wulfman

Rattledagger
23rd August 2001, 15:31
New members, flyingfinn01 and k1l, welcome.

Wulfman, I'll guess you can get a little higher net-score, but it all depends on that other things is using the line, and the rest of internet to UD's servers... If you're really unlucky, you get 1 as net-score...

Spazm, if you've got multiple machines in a lan, and only the win95b has problems, you must use one of the other machines to connect. You should use the machine with biggest score, since the score is only calculated while connecting to UD...
If on the other hand the machines is example home/work, it's probably due to a fireweall.
I can't say anything more about win95b, since I never upgraded win9x longer than win95a, and it's a long time since I had it installed...

Rattledagger
23rd August 2001, 15:45
The total machine-score is:
40% cpu-score + 25% memory-score + 5% HD-score + 30% net-score.

The comparing- machine is 1.5 GHz cpu, 384 MB memory, 5GB hd, and 100mbit network. For all, it will get 100 as score, and therefore, total 100.

I don't know if there's an upper limit for cpu and memory, but for hd it's 196, and for network an unusually high net-score is corrected to 100.

The hd-score depends on that size you set in your profile at UD, and the size of the partition running UD. It takes the smallest of these two numbers as your score. It doesn't check how much free space it's on the partition...

The net-score depends on the up/download-speed to UD's servers, and can change much...

spazm_1999
23rd August 2001, 16:37
Thanks for the info Rattledagger. It's not really helpfull in my case since most of my pc are about the same speed, but it's great to know anyway. Too bad they give 30% on the net-score... i can't get high on that since my network adapter is a 10mb/s and i won't change it for a 100mb/s 'cuz it would'nt change anything for my net access.

I normally get 50 on my pc is it good for the pc i have?

Spazm

Rattledagger
23rd August 2001, 16:59
50 for network or total? :)
Putting in the numbers for the hardware, I get 48 + network... Doubling the memory will give you 33% more points...

spazm_1999
23rd August 2001, 17:16
50 Total.

54 --> Processor
67 --> Memory
20 --> Storage
37 --> Network

I really don't think i'll add any ram to my pc for a coupe of month.... or years maybe.

Spazm

Rattledagger
23rd August 2001, 17:20
Great net-score, but you should update your hd-profile to 10 GB, so you'll get 196 as hd-score. I'm guessing you're having a bigger partition than 1 GB...

spazm_1999
23rd August 2001, 17:24
Yeah... i think i have partitionned 9/9/3/9. But would'nt that make the app to take a lot more space on the hd?

Spazm

spazm_1999
23rd August 2001, 17:28
btw do u know how they make their cpu speed calculation... there seems to be a bug. My machine P3-667@800 get 54 compared to 100 for the P4.... and my P200 MMX (yeah that's right a P1) get's 54 also.... any comment on this?

Spazm

Wulfman
24th August 2001, 00:18
total: 61
net 18

thanks for the info rattledagger!

mfg
wulfman

Jorden
24th August 2001, 11:13
THINKing about how this looks, I wonder if I should retry installing THINK.

RD, I downloaded the new version from your link above, and upon installing it gave me an error about some .DLL file being in use, so I closed every program I could find, and it still told me this file was in use.

Upon a reboot I got it partialy installed, but Windows was still using this .DLL file. (Anyone explain me how I install a Windows porgram with Windows shut down, please? ;)) and when I try to go to the United Devices folder, my AV program warns me that UD.EXE has the Win32.Champ.5495.int virus and it will not let it start.

Can't you just delete my name from the MURC THINK list and be over with? It's easier than this, I would THINK ;)

Jord.

TomNuttall
24th August 2001, 11:44
OK Just joined..

Overall - 68
Processor - 80 (tbird1.2)
Memory - 134 (512mb)
Storage - 20 (I have upgraded to 10mb in profile but it has not updated the points yet)
Network - 8

Tom

Rattledagger
24th August 2001, 15:15
Spazm, as I said at the start, THINK uses only 50 MB hd-space, regardless that setting you have... Taking a closer look, it's less. The ud-dir is 3 MB, with compressing nicely fits on a floppy, and while running, it's using 23+2MB virtual memory, therefore swapfile... Total under 30MB.
The 10GB is for "future projects".
As for 54 on the 800 MHz, this is rounded up to whole, and therefore correct. But the 200MHz... Did you download the wu on this machine, or moved from another machine? It doesn't update the score except then connecting, and if you're sending/getting wu from another machine, it's this machine that's counted/displayed.

TomNuttall, Welcome. Since it's only then connecting it calculates, you'll probably get full score for storage for first wu also, but I'm not sure. Later, you should get 78 overall. :)

Jorden, it's the same if you're using the version downloaded from Intel, or UD. Both will automatically be upgraded if necessary then connecting to UD. As for the virus, upgrade your virus-definitions to latest version, and the message will go away. AFAIK I can't kick you out, but you can leave the group...

spazm_1999
24th August 2001, 15:30
Oh ok. I did download the wu with the P3 and sent it on the p200 using the network since that machine was'nt able to logon... that explain why it's cpu rating is so high. Once again thanks for the info.

Spazm

Jorden
24th August 2001, 16:04
My virus def's are updated to today (yesterday) RD. And I can't leave, for I haven't turned in a single wu yet.

Just ignore me in THINK for the moment :)

Wulfman
25th August 2001, 01:53
Originally posted by spazm_1999
Oh ok. I did download the wu with the P3 and sent it on the p200 using the network since that machine was'nt able to logon... that explain why it's cpu rating is so high. Once again thanks for the info.

Spazm

interesting cheat ;)

mfg
wulfman