Question For Athlon Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Athlon Users

I'm looking to upgrade my system to an Athlon.

Looking for information on which motherboard may be the best for me.

What chipset to go with?
    AMD
    ALI
    VIA

Are there motherboards on the market yet using DDR RAM that have an AMD northbridge and south bridge chipset?
    #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
    people do all day!"

The SIS 735 chipset looks really nice, I'd wait a bit and see if/when some of the big manufacturers produce a board based on it.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

If you can get a full AMD solution that probably best.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Are there motherboards on the market yet using DDR RAM that have an AMD northbridge and south bridge chipset?
        Tyan has two of 'em. Both MP solutions..$$, although the Tiger MP (S2460) Motherboard shouldn't be too bad once it had been out for a bit (not released yet, but looks like a good one). See it here.

For us common folk who can't afford such solutions, we are stuck with the VIA 686B if we want a AMD Northbridge.

Comment

I have been bitten SOOOO many times by SiS in the past, I will NEVER buy an SiS component for my own PC for as long as I live. I don't care if their new boards are the best thing since sliced bread!

Go AMD. If The Via southbridge has a problem, it can be worked around.

Comment

Athlon

I recomand you to bye an ASUS A7V266!

This motherboard is based on the VIA KT266 Chipset, it uses DDR memory!

This ASUS motherboard is also got with overcloaking, multiplers can be adjusted through BIOS, and it's VERY stable!

Comment

A7V266

Ya that's one of the on'e I was considering.

Soyo K7V Dragon
              Asus A7V266
              Asus A7M266 with the 760 chipset
              Asus A7A with the Magik1 chipset

Likewise, I to heard great things about the SIS chipset but I'm a little skeptical of it.
              #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
              people do all day!"

Comment

Have a look at this article at OCWorkbench

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/...limagik1p1.htm

It shows the performance of the new B0 stepping of the ALi Magik 1 chipset. Iwill should have the KA-266plus out soon which is based on this stepping.
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                X