Ensuring Camcorder Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ensuring Camcorder Compatibility

I have just sold the dv camcorder that was not working for me, so I am now back to ground zero. This time, I want to make sure to do it right. I have been editing analog for almost 3 years using a Sharp Hi8. I want to go digital and upgrade the camcorder. I also want to be sure that the unit I choose will be compatible with my system.

I have the Matrox G400TV and a Pyro firewire card with MSP 6.0. I also have Videowave IV. My system is an Athlon 1 gig with an ASUS A7V133 motherboard and 384 megs ram. I am using the motherboard's Promise controller for my seperate video drive (Maxtor ATA100 7200rpm 30 gig). Other than the Pyro and the G400TV, the only other card I have is my Santa Cruz soundcard.

Does anyone have experience with a similar system and any of the following camcorders:

Canon Optura Pi
    Panasonic PV-DV601
    Sony TRV17 or TRV11
    Canon ZR20/25/30

Thanks for any guidance. If there is something not on the list that can be found for under $900, let me know. I need to get it right this time.

These are all good camcorders and you could probably be happy with any of them if you like the control layouts.

Since you've been using Hi8, have you considered the D8 format? You can "capture" your analog footage directly into DV by simply playing back the Hi8 tape in the D8 camcorder with the DV capture utility. Harder to describe than to do!

Or do you really want the smaller sized DV camcorder? I have a Canon ZR10 miniDV for when I don't really want to carry a camorder, but I use D8 when I know I want video as I find the larger size helpful and the tapes cheaper, although the price difference is shrinking rapidly. I'll eventually upgrade to something like a pair of GL-1's or VX-2000's over my pair of D8's, but these are "bigger" than the D8.

--wally.

Comment

Yup, they're all good ones. I have a personal preference for Panasonics and Canons (3 Panasonics (DV910, DV200 & DV600) plus a Canon Elura), but that's just me.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks all. I just find a price for a DV-601 that I think I can afford. The price quote is for Video Direct Anyone have any experience with these folks? I really wanted to buy the camcorder locally this time, but the lowest price I've found in LA is about $100 over my budget -- without tax. I can get the ZR25 locally for my budget of $700, but sure would like the higher 680k resolution. In favor of the the ZR25, I do like the fact that places to buy parts for and service Canons seem much more plentiful than for other brands. Finding Panasonics you can actually see and touch is like a search for the Holy Grail.

Comment

You might want to check these deals as found by Electronics.Price.com;

Also: you guys might want to avoid BUY.COM for now. Even though they have been a highly rated dealer they are in trouble. They just warned they may not be able to sustain their business because they lost the company that's been processing their credit purchases.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 August 2001, 09:30.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X