I want rant space too :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want rant space too :D

I thought I should write something, and was in the process of writing this up when Ant closed the thread. But I need to get this off my chest so here goes.

First, I have been a MURCer since I got my G200 about 2 and a half years ago. I know that's not as long as some people (maybe most people), but I certainly remember the times when we were 3dfx was king of speed, when the G400 was the best card all around and so on. Most importantly, I remember the times when there were no BBs or moderators.

I think we need to step back a little bit. I think all of us can acknowledge that that the people who seem to be the offenders (Rags, Greebe?) have been ultra-helpful to people as well. They are knowledgeable and friendly. It is the reason they were chosen as beta testers, for their knowledge and helpfulness as evidenced by their behavior on the MURC forums (I think they were; I certainly was for that reason alone). Would we want to lose these individuals over personal differences? I for one would not.

That is not to say that they are the holiest of holies and have done nothing wrong. Much as I hate to say it, technological arrogance seems to have infected the MURC forums at some point. Arrogance about <b>knowing</b> what the best card out there is, or about being a beta tester and knowing Matrox's future plans, or being a moderator, or some combination of the three.

Now to get personal.

Rags, you and Kruzin are the pople who post to every new question or request for help about Matrox cards. It is admirable how much time you take to do it. Just think once in a while that it is you who people hear from when they first come here or ask a question. You are not just you -- you are an ambassador of the MURC, and being a beta tester, of Matrox in general. Please be aware of your importance, and how being aggressive may actually hurt the things you care about so much. Sometimes we have to recognize that it is not our personality that is all that matters.

Now for Moderator behavior. Like Holly said, when you are made a Moderator, you have to push some of your personal feelings aside when you post or moderate. If you dont think you can post without expressing your feelings as well, then maybe you need to

a) stop moderating
    b) stop expressing your <b>personal</b> feelings
    c) separate the two clearly

Maybe we need guidelines for Moderator behavior.

Beta testers are another group of people who play a very important part in this forum. They are among the most helpful and knowledgeable. At the same time, endless posting about the next new thing from Matrox that you anyway cannot talk about doesn't help. Don't post anything at all. In fact as a beta tester, I would not post anything in the Crystal Ball forum. Any advice you give to new card buyers should be doen as if you had no knowledge of what Matrox has been up to. Even a "No Comment" is much better than a teasing one about what you know that no one else does. This is my personal opinion though, and can be thrown out of the window unlike the othet stuff I said where I was trying to be objective.

Jord, I know Rags may have angered you with his behavior. At the same time, maybe we should let things go as well. I remember clearly times when there were no personal tiffs between senior members of the forum. Put it down to his youth, his nationality or whatever else you want. Just let it go.

Holly, kudos on being a great moderator. Some may not be as wise as you are though. I think your initial post in Ant's thread could have been a little less inflammatory towards those you were giving advice (and very good advice).

I think it comes down to this:

Think before you post.
    Think several times before you post as a Moderator.

I'm all for free expression, but playing as a team and a community lasts much longer than individual heroics.

I'll shut up now. Please do not reply to this post with anything but positive ideas. My skin sure ain't thick enough.

Oh, and I will not be offended if this ends up in the Soap Box. The people that I am writing to will find it there I am sure.

-Rahul
    MURCer
    Linux beta tester for Matrox
    Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Thanks Rahul
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I sort of wish you hadn't started this thread. I can understand that you wished to speak your mind and your frustration at having that dennied in the last moment, but Ant decided to close that thread and don't think he wanted a simmilar one started.

Rags already started a redeeming thread (hope people from all sides join in).

Comment

Working...
      X