Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Warns PC Makers To Avoid VIA Chipset

Incoming lawsuit anyone???
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

dunno if its just me, but i dislike intel and nvidia more and more, they are lucky that this kind of new usually is only know by people who are interested (nvidia with the new detonator release right when ati announces their card, and their nice little paper about the kyro II, intel with their slow 1.7 gig machines etc.)

but i cant say that amd, matrox, ati etc. wouldnt act the same way

Comment

If Intel acts like a monopolist, why do they give licenses to Sis, Acer Labs, etc. for P4 chipsets? I think they just don't want a real crappy VIA P4 chipset to be released that can also give a bad name to the P4 (hmmm... let me rephrase that: that gives an even worse name to the P4).

But we've been discussing about this sort of stuff in another thread already: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27910

maybe it's best if you repost it in there if it's not already in the thread.

Comment

Maybe if Intel would spend less time and money on trying to run the competition out of the market, then maybe they wouldn't have to charge so much for their products. Looks to me like Intel is running scared again.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Intel is loosing alot og money! Sales from P4 are not going well at all! If you compare a 1,4Ghz Athlon with an 1,8Ghz P4, the Athllon outpreforms it in almost every catogory, exept Quake3, but who cares if the get 270 or 290 frames in Quake.....?

RAMBUS memort is also very expencive, and you have to put them in pair, thats very expensive. The new chipset from Intel, i845, with suport for SDRAM on P4, are slowing things down alot, about 30%.

The answer is yes! Intel is desperat, they don't like the thought of what will happen in descember when AMD is releasing their 0.13 micron version of Athlon, the "Thouroghbread" core!

Comment

hehe, rambus is "expensive", about half as expensive as sd-ram 100 was 18 months ago

i like the way all this is developing, i just hope things stay cheap until i have enough money to buy a new pc

Comment

If Intel acts like a monopolist, why do they give licenses to Sis, Acer Labs, etc. for P4 chipsets?
              Because they make stable chipsets. They never licensed VIA because of stability and quality problems. Intel definitly doesn't want a bad rep from their processors put in crap VIA systems.

If Intel wanted to put AMD out of business they would have done that years ago. They have the perfect opportunity right now with the market down. AMD is the one hanging by a thread right now because they simply don't have the deep pockets and resources that Intel has.

Intel is getting away from Rambus. They realized the mistake and will soon have chipsets out that support DDRAM.

Sorry, but Intel is anything but desperate right now. Intel is building about 4 or 5 new FABs as I type this. So, don't spend too much of your time fantasizing about Intel being desperate. (Note the smiley Joel)

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dZeus
                [B]If Intel acts like a monopolist, why do they give licenses to Sis, Acer Labs, etc. for P4 chipsets? I think they just don't want a real crappy VIA P4 chipset to be released that can also give a bad name to the P4 (hmmm... let me rephrase that: that gives an even worse name to the P4).

Originally posted by ALBPM

Because they make stable chipsets. They never licensed VIA because of stability and quality problems. Intel definitly doesn't want a bad rep from their processors put in crap VIA systems.
                Paul
                ALI chipsets stable???

When did that happen??
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sorry, but Intel is anything but desperate right now.
                  Of course we know that you are a little biais toward Intel. Who wouldn't be toward the company they work for and who signs their paychecks. Your future depends on them doing good. (note the smilies Paul)

Joel

Just remember the competition from AMD does all the comsumers good. Those that buy AMD as well as those that buy Intel. Do you really think that Intel prices would be so low if they were the only CPU maker???
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

ALI chipsets stable???

When did that happen??
                    Since VIA chipsets didn't want to get stable and Intel didn't get into the AMD scene yet ??

A friend of mine is running an Asus A7A, "Service4U built" and installed, that we rebuilt to a (more) working PC (Anyone still trying to get an SbLive Platinum in PCI slot one working next to an AGP ATI Radeon 32 DDR in WinME? And on delivery (2 weeks late) complaining that they can't get the sound working?.. Gosh)

The Asus A7A has a rock solid Ali chipset for the moment. Better in any way than the VIA chipset
                    Last edited by Jorden; 19 August 2001, 15:26.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

OK, I have never had to patch an Intel chip set, NERVIER! Hmm does 4-1 ring a bell? I wonder how much Matrox and other companies have had to patch there drivers to get there products to work on a VIA chip set? Intel isn't perfect, but we do come close. hmm well almost. LOL

Joel is exactly right. If it wasn't for AMD, we would not have the speeds that we do now and the pricing would be a LOT higher!
                      Long live AMD and Intel. And yes I do work for Intel, but do see the need for competition and not a monopoly.

/me still thinks everyone needs to buy Intel so Oboy can retire early!

Oboy
                      Time to make the wafers!
                      Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                      jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

I'm pretty sure BOTH companies are desperate as are many companies right now. Sales are down in general not just for one company.

As for building plants, I can vouch for that, because they seem to spring up as much as Starbucks where I live.
                        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

intel MTH, total chipset recall...but they didnt patch so thats ok.
                          intel coppermine 1.13 still born

I am happy(enough) with a my via chipset, it is stable(now)
                          (epox 8kta3+ at 140mhz).

If your graphic/sound manufacturer didn't produce regular driver updates your would be angry, but when your motherboard doesn't , you call it a feature?

VIA ain't the best but they do have good stuff,(less overpriced as well)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman

They did what via should have done!!!!!!
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman

I am happy(enough) with a my via chipset, it is stable(now)
                              (epox 8kta3+ at 140mhz).

If your graphic/sound manufacturer didn't produce regular driver updates your would be angry, but when your motherboard doesn't , you call it a feature?

VIA ain't the best but they do have good stuff,(less overpriced as well)
                              Well, most Taiwan MB makers were suffering from VIA chipset bugs and a lot of hardware incompatibility problems. While performance is not a big issue and the stability and compatibility are the most ones, i81xE systems are still the most welcome for OEM manufacturers.

I do not think those OEM will like to select those products which need a lot of customer supports. The reason is quite simple. Although the manufacturing cost is down, but the supporting cost increases more than the saving of manufacturing.

AMD is successful for its CPU, but not for the full PC systems. The most big issue is obviously the chipset. While the business customers tell OEM that they do not trust AMD systems, of course, OEM provides them Intel. The origin policy only to depend on VIA, ALi, SiS to support K7's chipset is obvious wrong.

I do not know why AMD did not let some other companies' FAB to produce its self-designed chipset before. Maybe he does not trust those FABs process. But now it even looks like AMD761 has been manufactured by Taiwan's FAB -- TSMC or UMC.
                              P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Working...
                              X