Can't search for < 4 letter words?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't search for < 4 letter words?

I'm not sure if this is merely to encourage the searching for common vulgar explicatives or simply to keep the search function from finding every instance of "the" in the form.

Anyhow, this limitation manifests itself when trying, for instance, to search for posts dealing with a product name that is three letters. Abit has a VL6, but I can't search for the VL6 using the search engine. I can search for Abit, but what's the use of a search function when I still have to dig through tons of posts?

Is there any way we can make it search for three letter words?

Thanks,
    b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Yeh I find it irritating as well! And have almost stoped using the search function becouse of that!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I've got a gripe with that aspect as well!

Comment

Yup I find that a annoying problem as well.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ant has been aware of this for sometime now
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So basically what you're saying is that nothing can be done about it?

That sucks dude.

Should we call shenanigans? Everybody get your broomsticks.....

b
            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Maybe what should be done is to complain at vBulletin about this nasty little problem, no?
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Maybe what should be done is to complain at vBulletin about this nasty little problem, no?
                Very true ...
                Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

There is most certainly something that can be done about it, I just have to rebuild the search index to use 3 letters as the minimum. This will inevitably lead to a massive increase in the search index size, at present with 4 letters it contains some 2.7 million entries. I did set it to 3 earlier just before our DB problems started but the index got corrupted so I reindexed it at the default.

Comment

I've done a search for dvd and guess what it said "can't do that"
                    Of course DVDs works but what the heck.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

For a three letter search, is the search database builder intelligent enough to ignore such common words as "and" and "the"?

b

Comment

Usually when I search a 3 letter combination I just add an asterisk (*) behind the search. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well I can remember putting a phrase in containing a three letter word and guess what too few letters.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X