Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few of questions for DVDmax

hi,

Currently, my computer is pretty much the media centre in my house... From listening to music to watching TV/movies.

I use the Hollywood Plus to watch my dvds. I use the video out to my television. When I need to check something quick on any dvd, I just load up windvd and watch it on my monitor. I currently use a singlehead o/c-150mhz G400.

Okay, so after pretty much using this same setup for almost two years, I'm having the urge to start changing things around a bit.

The video-out of the Hollywood Plus is quite nice, but what bothers me the most about it is not being able to adjust the overscan and being interlaced.

I love the quality of WinDVD, but watching movies on a monitor is just not the same.

First question, If I was to upgrade to a a dualhead card (either G450 or G550) or even an ATI radeon or above card for that matter, and use the DVDmax output to watch movies. How would the quality compare to the Hollywood Plus video out?

Second question, How successful have any of you been using the overscan adjust function in DivxG400 program?

Third question, Aside from difference in sound from various DVD programs. Do any of you actually notice a difference in video from using either PowerDVD, windvd, or a ravisent decoder? This question is only for the video out to the TV, and not the monitor.

Fourth question, since televisions are fixed at 60hz. Would I be able to use a television as a second monitor and watch my dvds on the second monitors, which then would automatically do a 3:2 pulldown to create progressive scan? Or will a matrox card, or any other card just see it as a television screen, and treat it as such?

Okay, I guess that's about it.

take care
    Last edited by redmodel; 17 August 2001, 12:45.

Second question, How successful have any of you been using the overscan adjust function in DivxG400 program?

Very successful for most of the clips
    But DivXG400 does not affect DVD playback, 'cause none of the DVD players I've seen uses automatic DirectShow filter graph generation. Auto-FGG is a must for DivXG400.

Comment

Re: a few questions for DVDmax

Originally posted by redmodel
      First question, If I was to upgrade to a a dualhead card (either G450 or G550) or even an ATI radeon or above card for that matter, and use the DVDmax output to watch movies. How would the quality compare to the Hollywood Plus video out?
      The output of the Hollywood is slightly better than the DVDMax on a regular tv with coax.... it's a little better if u got a S-video cable and lots better if u have a HDTV. The hollywood is HDTV compatible but it does'nt take all model.

[/B]
      No idea.

Third question, Aside from difference in sound from various DVD programs. Do any of you actually notice a difference in video from using either PowerDVD, windvd, or a ravisent decoder? This question is only for the video out to the TV, and not the monitor.
      [/B]
      The last time i tryed windvd and make a comparaison with powerdvd, powerdvd was way better.... and faster.

Fourth question, since televisions are fixed at 60hz. Would I be able to use a television as a second monitor and watch my dvds on the second monitors, which then would automatically do a 3:2 pulldown to create progressive scan? Or will a matrox card, or any other card just see it as a television screen, and treat it as such?[/B]
      U can setup a monitor on the second head, if u plan to use a tv there's a tv model that comes with lots of pre-configurated settings. Theses settings can be modified in the player so that u can use 3:2 pulldown on your tv.

Note that u can change settings on the hollywood so that u can have a un-interlaced display on your tv (which is totally useless for most tv).

Spazm
      Last edited by spazm_1999; 17 August 2001, 14:57.
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Re: Re: a few questions for DVDmax

hi, thanks for the reply... it's too bad that you can't adjust the overscan with dvds with DivxG400

Originally posted by spazm_1999
        The output of the Hollywood is slightly better than the DVDMax on a regular tv with coax....
        I don't own the most amazing TV (27 inch Nikko), and I go by composite input. So, I might be able to deal with this. maybe for the G550, or new Radeon cards, this is may not even be an issue anymore.

U can setup a monitor on the second head, if u plan to use a tv there's a tv model that comes with lots of pre-configurated settings. Theses settings can be modified in the player so that u can use 3:2 pulldown on your tv.
        Now, this is something I find very interesting. Because, Going this way, I'd be able to adjust the overscan and have a built in descaler in my computer!

Have you tried this out for yourself? What do you prefer? I noticed that you have the hollywood plus in your sig file.

Note that u can change settings on the hollywood so that u can have a un-interlaced display on your tv (which is totally useless for most tv).

I haven't heard of this, but would be interested in learning more about it, would there be a site i can find info on this or any cool tricks for the HW+?

thanks
        roger

Comment

Re: Re: Re: a few questions for DVDmax

Originally posted by redmodel
          I don't own the most amazing TV (27 inch Nikko), and I go by composite input. So, I might be able to deal with this. maybe for the G550, or new Radeon cards, this is may not even be an issue anymore.
          I can't truly tell i've never tryed those 2 cards yet, but i know that i prefer the output of my hollywood to the output of the G400.

Now, this is something I find very interesting. Because, Going this way, I'd be able to adjust the overscan and have a built in descaler in my computer!

Have you tried this out for yourself? What do you prefer? I noticed that you have the hollywood plus in your sig file.
          Well yeah i've tryed to watch movies with both in many different configuration. A little note that i have to tell before i go on is that the h+ does 3:2 pulldown on both tvv and monitor but u can't disable it (if i remember well) if u want true 24fps. Ive seen people that had HDTV that created a HDTV profile for their 768p (768lines) tv... which is lots higher than what the hollywood can do on theses. Of couse working on those profile is a lot of work sometimes but the output is way better than on the normal tv setting. For watching dvd on a tv i prefer using my H+ (better quality) and to watch 'em on the pc i use powerdvd for a reason that i'll explain later.

I haven't heard of this, but would be interested in learning more about it, would there be a site i can find info on this or any cool tricks for the HW+?
          I can't point out any sites nor that i think that some does put how to modify the h+ config, but if u really want to modify some settings i could give u a hand on that. But be aware that sigma did'nt provide use those so if u use 'em some may actually decrease the output quality.

Ok now for the explanation about the powerdvd thing. First if u plug-in the loop back there's a heavy quality loss on the monitor. Second the H+ seems to be unable to correctly decode a hybrid frame dvd on monitor (no probs on tv) which causes the h+ to display some frames in interlaced... and that's my big big minus. That problem *only* happen with anime tho.

Oh and an other thing (which might be totally useless in your case but...). The colors on the hollywood compared with powerdvd isn't the same it's better on the hollywood and there's nothing u can do to get that same color with powerdvd. It's something in their decoding engine.... i would show a pic, but h+ does'nt allow it.

Just reread the spec papers of the H+ and it support 480p and 768p HDTV.

Spazm
          Last edited by spazm_1999; 18 August 2001, 09:26.
          P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Working...
          X