Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD MP & Palomino

Those chips are the same, right?
    Does that mean that the Palomino (or Athlon 4 Desktop) will be a MP CPU?

The palomino is supposed to be available end of september right?

i wonder when IBM will start selling AMD PC's again

afaik, yes, yes, yes and IBM still sells Athlons outside the USofA ...
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

when will the palomino be available? when will there be the first affordable dual-cpu boards?

i think i read following sometimes somewhere:

cpu: end of september
      mobo: tyan in august, other manufacturers to follow soon

sine im not living at home anymore, i can only use the internet when i visit there, so im not up to date with things like gpu, cpu, mobo etc, but i need a new pc soon to be able to get up to date again, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

i read in a UK magazine called PC PRO(www.pcpro.co.uk) that the palomino would be released in september at 1.8 Ghz to compete with the imminent release of intels 2 Ghz pentium 4 and my guess is that it will kill the intel chip for both price and performance
        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I think the Tyan board is supposed to be a "server-class" board. It will be expensive.

Also, something to keep in mind is that this board is HUGE. Last I heard, you need a FULL tower to accomodate it. I don't think we'll be seeing MP motherboards for home for a while yet.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The Tyan motherboard that supports dual Athlon chips is indeed a server class board. And generally of the last year or so, nearly ALL server class boards are built on the E-ATX size. (Extended ATX). The board itself is some 13x12 inches, so make sure your case can support this standard otherwise you'll some some heavy duty equipment without anything to house them in.

Just a note to those interested in that board, that there are various versions, each one coming with a different extra, with the most expensive being the one with all the extras. Extra's were QLogic SM and Adaptec SCSI 160 (Thought 320 should be available soon). It has not got RAID built in (but with 5 64bit PCI slots, for expansion for RAID, who cares?) And one final thing, despite having 4 ddr dimm sockets, it only supports <B>3</B>GB DDR RAM (registered only I think too).

J1NG
            Hopes, that 3GB was a misprint.

Comment

Oops, forgot to comment on the price too...

I've been quote £420 for the "no frills" Tyan Thunder K7 (That's the name of the baord) with shipping, but it has to be ordered specially. (Yeah, like I STOCK £400+ motherboards daily... ) And the extra's version come's in at a heavy £650. So you won't be able to get the board anytime soon in the UK...

As for the US and Canadian residents, I'm sure stock availability will be no problem, but even at current conversion rates, the "no frills" still costs ($606 US and $935 Canadian dollars...) You can imagine what the full board costs...

Basically unless you're actually gonna fit this board with a majority of 64bit PCI cards (and max out the RAM in one go), you'll be wasting your money on this board. Wait for the ones coming later.

J1NG
              (For those without imagination, here's the converted price for the motherboard with all options; $940 US and $1450 Candian dollars)

Comment

The MP chip is what AMD is referring to as the "server" version. There will be a general switch to the Palomino core very soon for mainstream Athlon/Duron Chips. And, if the incompetant fools running AMD continue their idiocy, these chips should sell for about a dime a dozen come Christmas time.

I don't have a full tower, but could get a Thunder K7 in my case very easily. Most full towers, in fact will not accomodate an extended ATX motherboard. What is required is a DEEP case. I use an Elan Vital S30 server case, which is 18" high but 22" deep. The Lian Li cases will work as well. E-ATX compatibility is not something commonly referred to in case specs, so you need to hunt a bit to find one. Most full towers are simply not deep enough.. just really tall. It's a shame Tyan stopped selling their own Thunder- class case. It had a 6 drive SCA Module with backplane and a 400w PS, with about the same dimensions as my case. Cost was about $400 (not bad when you consider the specialized hardware involved and the quality of the case).

Comment

i know the tyan thunder is a very expensive server board, but there will be a tyan tiger (amd 762MP chipset i think), which will be affordable,but the last i read about it was a few months ago at www.tweak3d.net in their article about athlon MP's

and with cpu's being the price they are today, a dual configuration wouldnt hurt as much as a new graphics card

Comment

wowowow, intel better watch out, all amd needs now is a little support from the pc selling companys like compaq, dell etc.

just imagin how a 1.5+ palomino would kick a xeons butt

and with affordable dual athlon boards around the corner (tyan tiger supposed to be august, checked it, other companys (asus, abit, msi etc... still this year)), i guess my next system will have more than 3 ghz total

Comment

btw: win9x does not support mult cpu, but does that mean that it wont run at all, or just not optimized and maybe a little slower???

Comment

Thats right, Windows 9x/ME doesn't suport multi-processing, but it will work. Only one processor will be used!

Comment

Working...
                        X