Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be a good, free Win2k antivirus program ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a good, free Win2k antivirus program ?

Searched the forum a bit for the answer and found some references to InoculateIT, but it seems the promotional period just ended.

Any suggestions ?

I like F-protect. It is actually a DOS based antivirus, but I run it in 2k all the time. Not only is the program free, but they update it farely regularly as well. As for getting it, I can't recall where I got it, little searching should turn it up. If I can figure out where I got it, I'll post back.

Ok, went through the text files and came up with this ftp.complex.is. That has all the versions of the program itself, as well as all the updated definition files.
    Last edited by Reverend Maynard; 16 August 2001, 22:15.

Comment

I use AVG from www.grisoft.com It works great with win2k, is updated frequently and protects your emails. It also scans outgoing files and add a signature (optional)

BTW you may also like to get Zonealarm firewall from www.zonelabs.com this will not only protect you from unwanted intruders but will stop any program (including trojans) from accessing the internet without your permision. It also quaranteeens certain attachments to prevent you running them by accident, it asks you before you run them. Again, it is free, of course

BTW you can get Fprot from http://www.frisk.is/f-prot/download/getfpdosfree.html a very useful DOS program to have at hand.
      Last edited by Demo; 18 August 2001, 18:37.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give them a try

Edit: Demo, AVG seems to be only available to UK users (for Europe). They wouldn't let me download it.
        Last edited by Admiral; 19 August 2001, 12:05.

Comment

Admiral, I would have thought that it would be available but if it isn't, the only reason they know where you come from is because you told them

Comment

Don't thinks so:

AVG Free Download - Request Declined !

We are very sorry but your request to download AVG Free Edition was declined.

Please note, the download of AVG Free Edition is not allowed to users coming from Europe (except United Kingdom).

The country of your origin is probably the reason why our server declined your request (this determination is done by automatic WEB scripts).
            Only now comes the part where I could tell them where I'm from. And that only to complain:

If you think the determination was incorrect, and you should be allowed to download AVG Free Edition, please let us know using the form below.

Name (Firstname/Lastname):
            Email address:
            Country of origin:

Edit: About F-Prot. The DOS version would be of no use to me, mainly because when I first partitioned my hdd (IBM 45 GB), using fdisk, I enabled large hard disk support, although it worned me that I'll have problems (back then I didn't care , I only planned to install ME).
            I have 2 partitions on my hdd now, one is FAT32 and has Win98 on it and the other is NTFS with WIn2k. Form Win98 and DOS I can't see the NTFS partition, though WIn2k sees both partitions.
            I would run fdisk again, repartition it and disable large hd support, but I have too much data to backup and only another 4.3 GB hdd to do it on
            Last edited by Admiral; 21 August 2001, 03:26.

Comment

Hmm it sounds like they know where you come from because of your IP# Try using a proxy from the US or UK, it may work.

Comment

Working...
              X