"Generic" versus "name brand" RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Generic" versus "name brand" RAM

I'd like to install four 256Mb sticks of PC133 RAM in my Asus CUBX board. Is there any benefit to using "name brand" as opposed to less expensive "generic" RAM, especially if I end up running this PC133 RAM at a bus speed of 100MHz?

Thanks for any feedback.

with ram being so cheap why take any chances getting generic!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
      with ram being so cheap why take any chances getting generic!
      Because brand name ram are expensive in canada.

I'm running 2*128mb pc-133 of generic ram (CAS3) which run fine at CAS2 but not over 133fsb. I really don't think u'd need to pay more for the same thing or else u want to o/c your ram a lot.

Spazm
      Last edited by spazm_1999; 16 August 2001, 14:20.
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

ayoub, if I was only going to buy 128Mbs or so, I'd probably agree with you. However, I plan to buy a total of 1024Mbs, so the difference in price adds up! (Especially here in Canada as Spazm has pointed out.)

One question I should have asked earlier. I've read conflicting accounts of how Win98 can only make use of up to a certain amount of RAM. In other words, buying more than 256Mbs (or whatever the limit is supposed to be) is a waste of money. Comments on this anyone?

Comment

I don't think that there's a problem with 98 under 512mb.... i had 256 and it ran fine.

Spazm
          P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

win98 can use a max of 2Gb of physical ram & 2Gb of virtual ram.
            if you're going to be using more than 512Mb of ram then to avoid getting "out of memory" errors then you shoul modify the vcache line as Microsoft suggests!

Comment

Oh and patrick, i've been testing CAS2 ram with to compare with my CAS3... i had only 2-3 points more in sandra 2000 so IMHO it's not worth to pay more for it. And i understand u... i've been asking myself for a long time now if i should'nt change my generic ram for crucial... but i've backed that idea when i say (more than once) that i could get 1*256mb CAS2 of crucial for the same price (of almost) than 3*256 CAS3 of generic... IHMO u take the 3*256 and o/c it to CAS2 and have the same performance. It won't be of any problem as long as u don't o/c too much your cpu.

And no u won't get an extra speed boost from the Pc-133 ram if your cpu is running at 100fsb.... but if u upgrade someday your ram will be ready for that new cpu.

Spazm

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                win98 can use a max of 2Gb of physical ram & 2Gb of virtual ram.
                if you're going to be using more than 512Mb of ram then to avoid getting "out of memory" errors then you shoul modify the vcache line as Microsoft suggests!
                I would recomend to limit vcache to under at 10~100MB according to physicall memmory, or Download Cachemanager :d
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If your going to run within spec eg PC133 at 133 then generic is as good as you will need (I have generic pc133 running at 140 cas2, but its a lottery).
                  But if you want to OC a bit good/reasonable brand stuff is worth buying.

I think pc133 is sdram is a very mature product most 128 and 256 parts from most manufacturers (even generic) are reliable at normal spec (new stuff, not slightly older stuff).

I can't comment on 512mb parts, I have had not used any (yet)

I have found oem Legend ram to be cheap, stable and quite overclockable.

Comment

If ya buying 1gig of ram

Then go brand name.

Since you will be paying a lot to buy the ram, there is no point in being cheap and getting generic stuff.

The reasons to use brand name stuff are:

1) less chance of failure. A good brand is less likely to fail after a year, causing random crashes that make you want to tear your hear out.
                    2) more chance of working first time. Since you are installing 4 DIMMS into one computer, the SDRAM timing must be more exact. Brand name ram typically has tighter tolerances and is more likely to work. If it doesn't work, you are also more likely to get a refund or replacement with brand name RAM over generic stuff.
                    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Attn, please read...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Great link Greebe.

Anyway Patrick it's up to u. I have'nt ever had any problems with generic ram that's probably why i'd recommand it. Generic ram comes with a lifetime warrenty also.

I just did a little check for 1gig of crucial and generic... here's the price i got.

Crucial : 409.80$
                        Generic : 230.05$

Spazm
                        Last edited by spazm_1999; 16 August 2001, 21:28.

Comment

Hey, all the suggestions here and in the link that Greebe supplied are great. And to think that I had never even heard of Crucial before this thread! I checked out their site and found their FAQ section to be most informative.

I now realize that Micron is related to Crucial. Keeping this in mind, I'll probably buy the Micron PC133 256Mb CAS3 RAM listed at the following site for $32.65(US). It seems inexpensive enough, and I don't think that it could be called "generic", although I'm not totally convinced that using "generic" RAM would necessarily be bad. Even though the prices listed are in US funds, this store is not far from me located here in my part of Canada.

Overclocking has been mentioned several times in this thread, but I have no plans to overclock the RAM in my computer, just the processor. If anything, this RAM may possibly be underclocked and running at a speed of 100MHz.

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen!

Comment

If you buy generic RAM at a reputable dealer, like a local shop that has proven to be reliable, then the generic RAM they get tends to be good enough in most cases. It's buying generic RAM over the internet that tends to have problems.
                            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Until that first time you put it in and there is stability problems, or worse, just flat out doesn't work... the additional savings then is moot. Nor can they guarantee that it'll work in X mb or with other mem they have sold you previously.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X