LG 17inch monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG 17inch monitor

Since I live in the land of the poor (can't afford 19 or 21 inch monitor) I was wondering.

What do you guys thing of the LG FLATRON 775FT monitor. It is a flat screen 17 inch monitor. It looks pretty good to my eyes, but I haven't seen any of the reference Sony monitors you guys talk about.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Take the 795 FT, it's a bit better and not that much expensive.
    The Plus version has a 4 port USB hub, plus.

Or, if you want a marvellous 19' without spending too much, go for the 915 FT.

Two advise:
    1) You don't need to call support the first time you'll see your FT in action. It's not broken, it's only your eyes

2) Prepare to hate Matrox support and programmers, and to insult them a lot into.

Byez!
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I'm using a flatron 775FT, Its a good monitor for the price range.

I generally use 1152*864 75mhz.

Go have a good play with one in a shop, if you like it buy it. Just remember the it won't do the higher resolutions

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The store I "now officially work for" sells LGs as the standard with a system unless the people ask for higher end stuff.

I find them a good monitor (Not Great but better than POS by a long shot for the price "Average prices at joe blow stores, not average as in Costco )

If you are going for the flattron you have to remember that the monitor doesn't compensate for the concave effect caused by just a flat screen (Unlike higher end monitors) . It still makes my eyes go all because of it.
        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Thanks for the info

My mum already has one, I was asking because I wanted to see if it was a reasonable benchmark of what I should get myself later. I saw it in the shop and it was streets ahead of what 17inch my mum was originally going to buy (POS olympic monitor, terrible focus, poor colour saturation), so I was able to convince her to spend a bit extra ($490A for the LG, not very cheap, but cheap by MURC standards). The only problems I can see with it are slight colour misconvergance at the edges, but it is only a real problem if you look for it.

I can't handle really high resolutions (eyes are definantely a problem), so I generally only use 1027x768 or 1152x864 (under linux). Fortunately I am farely resiliant to refresh rate, with anything 72 or better enough for me. I also don't seem to be affected by the concave look of the screen.
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Originally posted by cbman

If you are going for the flattron you have to remember that the monitor doesn't compensate for the concave effect caused by just a flat screen (Unlike higher end monitors) . It still makes my eyes go all because of it.
            If it's a joke I hardly understand it...

Comment

Not a joke... there was info somewhere I saw about the effect... (Its not just LG monitors that have/had this problem...)

If someone else doesn't find it I will post it when I come back from my trip on tuesday.

Comment

cbman, please stop and think:
                You are saying that a flat screen need a special something to distorce the image so it doesn't look concave...

Well...why the hell buy a flat screen then, if you need to de-flat the image to show it not flat???

ROTFL!!!

Comment

Actually Drizzt, cbman is correct. Cheaper flat faced monitors do exhibit a concave appearence to them. This is caused by the electron beam expanding to a larger diameter as the distance from the crt's center increases. Resolution and linearity is still the same but the effect is noticeable. This is one of the reasons why curved faced crt's persisted for as many years as they did.

Now many manufactures will slap in any ol crt they feel like for the increased sales potential because marketing has taught the (ignorant) buying public that flat is better.

It's like the 2.4 gHz cordless phones today... if the public was clued in that these devices were operating at 50 mHz lower in frequency than all microwave ovens, do you honestly think they would sell?!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Rugger
                    You might then want to look at Samsung's range of flat screen 17" monitors (Dynaflat). These monitors have a curved inner surface that compensates for that concave effect! Plus I think Samsung's prices are similar to LG's!
                    Cheers
                    Ovi

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Actually Drizzt, cbman is correct. Cheaper flat faced monitors do exhibit a concave appearence to them. This is caused by the electron beam expanding to a larger diameter as the distance from the crt's center increases. Resolution and linearity is still the same but the effect is noticeable. This is one of the reasons why curved faced crt's persisted for as many years as they did.
                      Sorry, my geometry is not helping me...
                      (even my english, too, sorry )

Let's explain my point of view in another way:
                      Flat screen has a flat screen and image. Aftre being used to curved monitor for years, human beings tend to see the flat screen image "inner curved". This tend to disappear after a few days of use.
                      This is not a phisical defect of the monitor. It's obvious, if you consider that the screen is flat. How can it be curved, if it's flat?

Unless you are speacking of very cheap monitor, flat 17' in the 200 $ range.
                      Well, no one can buy one of this and expect to find more than a flat glass.

Uhmmm....in the end, I think we're saying the same thing?

Comment

From what i have seen with my own eyes, the LG is quite good and is easy on my eyes; Samsung, apart from the need for it to be on before the cpu is turned (else the screen sometimes appears shrunk) has a great value for money; The only other monitor in that value/cash bracket is the Viewsonic 17EF.

I would go with these three monitors as they are flat enuff for me can push them to 1600x1200 (but i find 1024x768 or 1280x1024 easier on the eye), and they dont come with the two horizontal lines that monitors that use sony tubes have. The two lines really stand out on lighter backgrounds especially on M$ Office or similar pakages.
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Discover the latest in electronic & smart appliance technology with Samsung. Find the next big thing from smartphones & tablets to laptops & tvs & more.

Samsung rung a bell and here is the link with the little blurb on the concave effect.

Comment

Yes,

the concave effect is real alright.
                            The LCDs had the same problem in the beginning.
                            Now that problem is solved by the screens NOT being totally flat.

If you look closely you´ll see that the screen is (very slightly) curved horisontally while it´s usually flat vertically.

rubank

Comment

Working...
                            X