ok now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok now what?

ok now i got avi_io.it looks like it could do the job but........i have a 20gb hd and i only have 10gb to work with(when i'm not dl'n).when i capture using avi_io it captures good but it takes up so much space.for instance, i captured a clip of a movie just to test the software it and it was 112mb.the clip that i captured was only about 1 min long give or take a few sec.i thought avi was suppose to be smaller than mpeg?well in anycase i need to know some settings to fix this problem.i have a documentary that is 1 hr and 15 min so i know i to do something to compress the capture.thank u
    betterdayz connection is here....

Avi is npt supposed to be smaller than MPEG. Every comperssion scheme will have different file sizes depending upon a lot of things, bitrate, codec, frames per second, resolution, rotation of the earth...

I am not sure what video card you are using to capture with or what OS. This info is important since different cards have different capabilities. It also depends on what your final product is going to be, i.e., DVD, VCD, tape, avi, mpeg... If you need to throw it on one CD, the only format that will get close is mpeg4, either hacked M$ or DivX. If you just need to get it on the HD to edit, then an MJPEG codec may be more suited to what you need. It tends to edit a little better and you can still fit all of it on your HD. You can then feed it to another encoder like an MPEG2 encoder or use Virtual dub to re-encode.

If it is going to be distributed then you need to know what codecs are available on the customer's machines. Nothing is worse than spending a week on a project and it won't play on someone elses machine.

If you give us a little more detail then I am sure that someone here has already done what you need to do and can help.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Os name Microsoft windows 2000 pro
      Version 5.0.2195 build 2195
      Os manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      Systems manufacture VIA Technologies Inc.
      System model VT8363
      System type x86-based pc
      Processor x86 family 6 model 3 stepping 1 authentic AMD ~751…
      Bios version Award Modular Bios v6.00PG

IrQ’s

3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
      11 Matrox Marvel G450etv-English
      11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
      11 VIA USB Universal Host controller
      11 VIA AC’97 Audio Controller(WDM)
      11 HFC 56k PCI Modem
      11 Realtek RTL8139(A)PCI Fast ethern…
      14 Primary IDE Channel
      15 Secondary IDE Channel
      8 System CMOS/real time clock
      13 Numeric data processor
      6 Standard floppy disk controller
      4 Communications Port (COM1)
      12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
      1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft…

128 ram and 750 mhz

now what?
      Last edited by kashmilli; 16 August 2001, 12:30.

Comment

What compression are you using? Since you are going around the native MPEG capture, are you using Huffy? That size almost sounds like its capturing uncompressed. Huff is big -- but not that big.

Comment

Right. To capture HuffYUV you have to set the capture format to YUY2 and then choose HuffYUV as the Compression in AVI_IO's setups.

Full frame will give you about 11 mb/s. Half frame does about 5.5 mb/s and quarter frame does about 3 mb/s.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

when i open avi_io or pcvcr somethimes my cpu shuts off it restarts by itself.is that because i have only 128 ram 750 mhz working win2k.if i upgrade will the capture be sharper and smoother on playback.

Comment

It sounds like it is the case of too any devices on one IRQ to me. I know that Win2k should work with this, but I don't have too much faith in it. Try to put the Marvel on it's own IRQ. It is a pretty resource intensive device, especially when capturing video.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

how?

Comment

Well that's kind of tough for me to explain since I am not running Win2k yet and I don't have ACPIU compliance installed. I believe that there is a trick during the initial install of the OS to bypass the ACPI install. If you can in fact change IRQ's with ACPI installed it would be done in Device Manager. Open up system properties, hardware, device manager. It should be in there somewhere. IRQ 10 would be a good bet. Also make sure that the use automatic settings is unchecked. This may or may not work in Win2k or there might be another way. I plan on installing Win2k tomorrow so I may be able to let you know later.

By the way if anyone knows, I believe that there is a way to keep form uninstaling ACPI during install, like push F8 or something during the install??? I am using an older 440BX MB so it probably isn't compliant anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X