Win 98 SE and WinWP
    ASUS A7V 133
    Athlon 800 MHz
    256 MB ram
    7200 rpm ATA100 discs
    Matrox Marvel G400 TV
    Firewire card

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 & 2.

If you have SP2 it includes everything in SP1.

I can't enumerate any problems SP1 or SP2 has solved for me, but OTOH installing them hasn't broken anything new either so I routinely install SP2 now. YMMV.

--wally.

Comment

Thank you very much Wklurez?
      Win 98 SE and WinWP
      ASUS A7V 133
      Athlon 800 MHz
      256 MB ram
      7200 rpm ATA100 discs
      Matrox Marvel G400 TV
      Firewire card

Comment

Many of the changes in SP2 have to do with stability and, more importantly for those using DV, fixes for major problems in IEEE-1394 and OHCI support. More updates for both DV and analog are also in DirectX8a and the Video Capture Update.

The list of bug fixes alone runs 3 about pages.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc,

Agreed, that's why I recommend it, however SP2 did nothing to fix the problems I was having with a NEC based 1394 card (everything works except exporting DV from the 1394 drive back to the camcorder -- gray blocks, export from an ide drive works fine) so I junked it and put in a cheapo TI based 1394 card. I've a few other 1394 issues that have workarounds that SP2 also did nada for.

I think the DirectX8 and its DV Capture update are more important for readers of this forum running W2K (all of whom should be IMHO :-)

I've a test machine here at work that is plain W2K build 2195 with no services paks or updates. Its a plain old Dell XPS R400 and it doesn't do NLE, but it does very graphics, compute, and network intensive tasks and I've seen no stability problems.

If you've a working machine that is giving you no problems I think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" carries a lot of weight. But as I said, I generally install W2K, then SP2, and finally the needed apps these days.

Did the 1394 fixes in SP 2 fix issues with the RT2000/2500? I've seen zero ancedotes: "problem with OHCI 1394 .... fix by installing SP2" So I'm wondering if these mostly are for users of 1394 networking, hubs, or really uncommon 1394 chips. OTOH, install DirectX 8 and its DV update is practically a boilerplate reply.

--wally.

Comment

SP2 fixed quite a few things. Some of the more important ones include;

Support for ATA 100 (Mode 5 ) in Windows 2000 (oops #1)

Device Manager Lists ATA-100 Device Incorrectly as Using PIO Instead of UDMA (oops #2)

Cannot Convert FAT32 to NTFS with IDE Drive Larger Than 20 GB (long overdue)

Connectivity Problem with IEEE 1394 OHCI Host Controllers (ever have your cam refuse to connect?)

Connectivity Problems Using VIA 1394 PCI Host Controllers

OHCI 1394 Driver May Cause a Memory Leak During Asynchronous Write Operation (not good for 1394 drive users)

No Sound from Non-PCM File with Windows Driver Model Audio Drivers (so much for DVAudio in MSPro with a WDM compatable card)

Registry Quota Leak In Windows 2000 (not good)

File I/O Functions Misbehave After NTFS Path Element Renamed

Video Does Not Work After Resuming from Hibernation

Video Hangs When You Run a 3D Graphics Programs (Cool3D, 3D plugins etc.)

Computer May Hang When Hot-Swapping UDMA IDE Devices (not good if you archive projects to removable HD's)

Not Able to Run DirectSound Programs from DVD Drive on Windows 2000

Plus a s***load of memory leaks plus about 3 more pages of fixes.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2001, 15:04.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X