Promise PDC20265/Asus A7V & DOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise PDC20265/Asus A7V & DOS

Does the promise controller support DOS natively like the Highpoint found on the Abit KT7A? (I slap a 9x DOS boot floppy in and still DOScan't find my hard drive).

A7V Bios: 1007

Reason: I'm having problems using my CDROM burner (Ricoh 7040 Retail) under Win2k Pro Service Pack 2 (Old WinOnCD came with the burner) and for the life of this PC I can no longer correctly cut a disc.

I don't remember having such a problem pre W2K Service Pack 2.

I've updated the CD Driver Firmware, applied all available patches and drivers to the WinOnCD software, updated to the latest 4in1 by VIA (4.32). and still not having any luck. Originally the burner was slaved to the Pioneer DVD, then I tried sticking it on its own IDE chain off of IRQ 15, I also tried giving the Burner off its own IDE chain off of the promise controller, all of these changes didn't help any.

What I've noticed the burner does is this: Happily starts and chugs along - then all of a sudden it stops the stream - like it was interrupted or something - and the test/burn fails with a buffer underrun error.

I want to rule out the OS (and perhaps the WinOnCD software) by installing 98, and if that doesn't work by using Linux (The Linux Distros I have halt after loading the Promise driver - and I forgot the copy of Mandrake 8 at home).

Thanks in Advance,
    Whyzzi
    ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

is your ASPI layer installed correctly?
    win2k doesn't come with an ASPI layer which is necessary for a burner. suggest you read this page & if you need ForceAspi then get it from here.

Comment

just noticed that you should soon occupy the elevated position of MURCer!

Comment

ASAPI /w WinOnCD not a prerequisite

To quote from my rather old WinOnCD v3.6 help file

ASPI stands for Advanced SCSI Programming Interface and defines an interface for the access to SCSI and ATAPI devices. WinOnCD works with a special ASPI which has been developed by CeQuadrat exclusively for CD recording. This exclude the influence of other ASPI-using software, and thus improve performance. Generally other software use the standard ASPI provided by Windows.

And as the answer to my original question: Ulta100 IS supports DOS without a driver, its just the Win9x FDISK program from boot floppy doesn't like my setup (ie: it halts). Oh well.

just noticed that you should soon occupy the elevated position of MURCer!

For 2years now (Since the purchase of my G400 SH) I've been more of a lurker than a MURCer, let alone a mini-MURCer. I've keep up with this forum because there is some great advice here, and I really only post when I fell I have something to contribute (usually).

Whyzzi
        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Working...
        X