Tribes 2 on Matrox G400MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes 2 on Matrox G400MAX

Hmm.. just started to wonder, is anyone playing this pretty cool looking game with Matrox cards ?

Just seen some pictures about the game ( and i know its pretty old now, but maybe most of the bugs have been fixed NOW ) and just thought that maybe i should buy this game.

I have played alot the old classic Team Fortress ( Quake 1 you know, not the sucky classic-version ) and this game seems to have some improvemets that i might like. Dont want to wait for TF2 anymore and CS is getting pretty booring because of the number of cheating players.

But the big question is does this game run well / at all with matrox cards ? ( If i remember right i got a warez-ISO-cd of the game back when the game was just released and I coudnt get it working with the drivers i was using + W2k. ) And dont start blaming me about the warez-cd.. i allways like to test the games i'm intrested in buying.. i do support the company's that make GOOD games..

Well thanx for the info, im pretty sure someone will comment.

PeTe

------------
    I really should make a signature file for the formus, but dont know how. Well my machine is 1.2@1.33G Tb on Abit KT7 + Matrox G400MAX running on Win2KSP2 with the latest Matrox Drivers.

I've played Tribes2 on my PC (specs in sig). While the game is pretty, the learning curve is enormous.

The community is a bit harsh with newbies as well. Play with people you know until you get the basics down.

Lots of old-school Tribes players play T2 and are very familiar with the controls and waste no time fragging you and using the witty menus to insult you .

All that having been said, I played Tribes 2 maybe 5 or 6 times and it sits on my shelf now. I just didn't enjoy it for some reason.

I'm primarily a Diablo 2 Expansion & TFC guy these days.
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Diablo 2: LOD is one of the best games EVER. I play it ALOT in closed B.net, but i allso want to keep my trigger finger happy and CS doesnt really do it for me anymore.

Thats why im thinking about getting Tribes 2.. I KNOW that its really hard to learn, but if it was too damn easy.. no-one would play it. Tried the original Tribes and really couldnt master that gliding system, but if i remember right it was ALOT simpler in T2.

PeTe

Comment

Well Tribes 2 is the main reason why i have replaced my G400MAX with a *cough* Geforce3.

I think the game is great, but with an g400max I could only play it at 640x480 with most options turned down.

i was getting 80fps inside and 20-50 fps outside with g400max.

I had one really big problem with the max: on the map thin ice, inside the building i got 5fps!! when someone took out the generator (that's when all the lights go out).

one thing: when i first replaced the max for an gf3 and started T2 there was one thing that surprised me: It feeled like the gf3 didn't played as 'smooth' as my old g400max. don't know why it feeled that way, because gf3 has way better framerates and looks awesome ingame.....

to summarize things up: T2 will play on a G400MAX, but the card isn't powerfull enough to make the game look good. You have to turn down all textures and fancy options....
        PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Thnx for the info, ill wait untill im getting a new graphics card.. then ill give Tribes 2 a try.

PeTe

Comment

I can't tell what was the problem 'cuz i'm playing tribes 2 in mp with normally 12 bots on a G400 (non max) and get good framerate..... and that's at 800*600*16 with most settings maxed out. Pete u should give it a try it ran fine on my pc maybe it will on yours also.

Spazm
            P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

I run win2k with a G450, and with the default settings that Tribes2 sets up, it runs fine. 1024x768 BTW.

G450

Comment

Well, I have G450 too and I think it's plain slow for UT in 32bit.

Too bad there is no such card with best of everything.

Comment

OT Hardware vrs connection

I don't know about anyone else here but I find that a lower ping make's my PC feel a whole lot faster. I'm on dialup (45.2k most the time).

Every so ofter I find a server with a great ping and it feels like I upgraded my PC.

On topic.... I grabed the Tribes 2 demo the other day. Played ok, felt slower than UT but I didn't do much tweeking and there where lots of people on the server, turned down some of the stuff that sounded more processor intensive I think I was at 800x600.

K6-3+ @550
                  96meg
                  G400 Max
                  Win 2K
                  K63+550/192M/SCSI/G400Max

Comment

Working...
                  X