Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair Oh mY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair Oh mY!

I have Mushkin rev. 2 in my PC now, but I just purchased a 256MB PC133 CAS2 stick from Crucial for $44.00. How are peoples experiences with this memory? I really like Mushkin and have never tried Corsair(but hear they are really good as well), what about Crucial?

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I've seen Crucial listed as #2 with Mushkin #1. The only reason they were listed #2 is that they don't overclock quite as well.

My friend just got 512mb of Crucial. We'll see how that goes.

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

c't (quite good german pc magazine) testet some DIMMS (over 100 I think) in the last 2 issues

their comment to mushkin (PC150 -222) - forget it! they say it hardly runs stable @133 -222 (issue 17/2001, p. 148)

mfg
      wulfman

[I am happy at the moment... running noname PC133-333 @ 142-222 stable for 6 hours -> infinion chips]
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Mushkin makes their money by hyping their chips as "OCers chips", and constantly coming out with new versions.

Crucial just makes good memory, and it happens to OC <I>very</I> nicely most of the time.

Problems are rare, and service is great when you actually do need to return/cross-ship something.

It will take a <B>WHOLE</B> lot of bad occurences to make me switch from Crucial memory. The same can be said for Greebe, Rags, and a bunch of others here.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys....bad news is, I just got home, installed the memory and it appears to be DOA

I hope it is a BIOS update although I have only one revision less than the current. well, off to read the manual just in case I missed something.

btw - A7V mobo

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

OK, I got it working. It was one fo two things, but I dont know which one since they were done at the same time.

1. BIOS update to the latest
            2. Memory may not have been pushed in all the way. I think it was this one.

Dave

edit: oops, forgot to ask my next question...what shoudl I set my vcache setting to?

Comment

maybe this may sound very ot, but when using large amount of RAM in your system, you should consider upgrading to Windows 2000 if that doesn't hinder your use of the system too much, since it does a much better job at memory usage for cache and such, even without tweaking it much at all (custom swap file settings is one of the changes with the largest impact imo).

Comment

I hear ya! That is why I have Win98SE, Win2k and Linux installed I just want to know the best setting for Win98se.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

ok, with 256MB of RAM I would set it at 64 - 80MB for max size, for 512 I would use 80 - 100MB.

It also depends a lot on what you do with your system mostly, as some tasks will benefit more from a larger diskcache, and some more from having more application memory available (and I'm not sure how good the job of deviding memory between application mem and diskcache is done by win9x/me).

Comment

Working...
                  X