Case/CPU cooling suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case/CPU cooling suggestion

Ok, I just bought a new case. Here's a pic.

It has an 80mm fan mount in the rear by the CPU. There's enough room to mod it to fit a 92mm fan if I want.

My question is:

I'm going to put a Zalman CNPS3100 HS on my CPU and was wondering if I should duct it to that 80mm fan at the rear of the case, or should I mod the side panel and put on my Sunon 120mm (69CFM) fan and duct it out there??

I need to decide now, since I'm going to paint the case and I don't want to be cutting on the case after I get the paint job done.

Thanks,

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Why not do both?

Seriously- most CPU coolers I've seen lately perform better when pulling air down into the heatsink, and I think the Zalman works the same. If you duct the air from the side of the sink out the back, and put the 120 blowing INTO the case from above (beside it, I guess, since it's a tower, heh), you should be blowing cold air directly onto the sink, then exhausting the heated air out the back.

Oh, and I'd mod the rear to take the 92mm, too, so that you'll have closer to a balanced airflow in/out of the case than with the 120/80.

Good luck, and keep us informed on your new project case!
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Use the 80mm fan to exhuast out of the HS (by sucking it out) and out the case(either to the side or back (is better). Use the 120mm fan to blow the air into the front of the case. This will be roughly equal to the total air being exhausted (don't forget the PS fan!

Make sure to enlarge the hole in the case front so it doesn't impede air flow to the 120mm fan! (no grill or slots ... just a hole)
      Modifing the case bezel may also be neccessary.

I typically use a high quality airfilter made from a 3M "like" filter (the brand name escapes me at the moment... about half the price... lower air reduction is induced compared to the 3M filters) under the bezel to prevent dust contamination. (placed in front of the fan)

This will provide an isobarik cooling within the case with plenty of cool air being drawn into the HS to prevent case heat buildup from affecting it performance.

The biggest issue with cooling cpu's the traditional way is recirulated heated air hurts it's effeciency.
      Last edited by Greebe; 15 August 2001, 05:42.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have either a Sunon 69cfm or a YS-Tech 125cfm 120mm fan I can put in the front of the case.

As for a duct to the rear 80mm fan, what sort of shape are we talking? Just a plain square the same size as the fan casing? Just brought up the the edge of the HS?

amish

Comment

I use the HQ45 Maxi-Tower from AOpen, it's a very good chase after my opinion!

I have a 1400Mhz Athlon, so I use slim betwen the processor and the heatsink, some Artic Tundra II thermal goop on the processor die, and a Pendic Thermo Engine cooler! Works very good!

I'm no hardcore overcloaker, but the 1400Mhz (133,33Mhz DDR x 10,5) Athlon works good at 1466Mhz (133,33Mhx DDR x 11,0)

Comment

GDI he'll be using a Zalman CNPS 3100G HS... this is a continued thread (but different) from another where this is discussed

EA, use either fan... tho the higher cfm fan would work better (tho noisier)... it you want a schematic for a non rheostat type speed control just let me know
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe. Are you talking about something like a 12v/off/7v switch setup??

Heheheh... I just realized that the 5w rheo that I'm using on that high-output YS-Tech fan is about 2.5w shy.

The YS-Tech fan has a max wattage of 7.48w.

No wonder the rheo gets warm when I turn the fan down...

amish

Comment

Working...
              X