Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM drops AMD in North America

The link to the news..

Ahh.. It is IBM's loss or should i say the consumers loss?
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

No,

It's just that IBM finally got tired of wasting time and money on customer support because of the the CRAP that VIA is producing these days.

IBM's only the first. There will be other companies dropping AMD because of the problems with VIA's chipsets.

Also, you won't see the Computer manufacturers putting Intel Processors in VIA motherboards. It would result in the same amount of time and money wasted in customer support because of the problems with VIA chipsets.

Too bad AMD isn't making their own chipsets

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Chipset from AMD

AMD IS producing their own chipsets, I currently use an ASUS A7M266 based on the AMD760 chipset w/DDR suport! This is still one of the best preforming chipsets availible for Athlon

AMD also make the 760MP chipset

It's a very good chipset!

I think nVidias nForce chipset will help AMD alot!

Comment

Re: Chipset from AMD

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
        I currently use an ASUS A7M266 based on the AMD760 chipset
        Erm, this also uses the VIA 686B southbridge which is the one causing all the problems. The only board I know of which uses an AMD southbridge is the Tyan Thunder K7 which is about 3x the price of any other Athlon board. It's a shame ALi can't sort out the memory latency speed on their Magik 1 chipset or that could be worth buying.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I totally agree.

Hopefully they will take the opportunity and re-do code that has been in VIA's silicon since the MVP3 and Apollo IV days will result in their P4X chipsets being a bit more compatable with the real world.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I referenced this thread in a post I just made to the Motley Fool AMD board. Pauly, what you said really inspired me to once again argue the importance of chipset support there.

Comment

Fujitsu-Siemens uses AMD cpu's in their computers on VIA motherboards.

And those computers are not stable at all!!

But They would be unstable in AMD chipset mobos to!!

Why?

Because they still uses thre year old cases with 235Watt PS units!!

Yesterday I saw a F-S computer with a Duron CPU and a 145W PS!!

Most integrated computers has always used the cheapest, most unstable chipsets awailable!!

Compaq's has been all VIA and SIS for years.

IBM likes to stress CPU to the verge of heat stroke in their boxes!

Of course integrated pc manufaktor always has loved intel; intel has made chips and cpu's thats made like tanks!
              Even sloppy stupid construktions will hold for a year or two before the cpu or other hadrware give out.

Intell asums that idiots without knowledge buys their cpus and there fore makes them hard to destroy.

AMD sets guidlines and when the idiots don't follow the guidlines AMD gets the blame!!

When a motherboard manufactor makes a pos card with INTEL chips its their fault.

If same manufactor makes a pos card with VIA chips it's suddenly only VIA's fault!!

There are as many pos mobos with INTEL, ALI, SIS, chipsets as there is with VIA chipsets!!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

VIA got that reputation deservedly

Comment

Yup I second that.

Come to that I know someone who thinks that Via don't test there chipsets perhaps he/she know something we don't.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Yup I second that.

Come to that I know someone who thinks that Via don't test there chipsets perhaps he/she know something we don't.
                    Get real!

Say as it is, YOU dont think that via check their chips!

80% of via related problems are PEBKAC.
                    20% are sub 300W PS units!.

MSI's boards are rock stable,
                    Aopen's are only stable after bios tweaking,
                    Tell me how that is VIA's fault?
                    (both boards had the latest bios)
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Guess who got post of the day?

That post got me post of the day over at the Motley Fool board!
                      The Motley Fool provides leading insight and analysis about stocks, helping investors stay informed.

Oh Joy, my 15 minutes of fame are come!

Comment

Get a grip Technoid. VIA's designs are flawed. Besides that, they can't write drivers for their chipsets even though their company depends on it.

I noticed that you consider 100% of VIA problems to be either idiot users or weak power supplies.

Say it as it is! YOU think: "
                        "

Let's go down this list: MVP2. MVP3 (all revisions, of which only the CE was even respectable). 686B.

You want a VIA problem? I replaced my AWESOME MSI-6167 with an Epox-8KTA3. From that day on, I couldn't burn a CD: my machine would lock up or reboot. I tried all sorts of stuff. Reinstalls, upgrades, tons of tweaks. VIA support didn't respond. Plextor tried to help, but couldn't. I scoured the web.
                        I found the 686B patch by George Breese hours after it was released. I installed it, and hallelujah, I burned a CD!. It took VIA months to even hint at the problem, even denying it publically after admitting it elsewhere (pulling a Condit?). That doesn't mean my board is flawless though. I still can't do Disc-on-the-Fly copying, since VIA can't get that working like my trusty AMD-750 would.

VIA has crappy drivers. Period. Their design skill may be okay, but their verification (functional and electrical, it seems) is awful.

I like running AMD processors. I just hope that AMD provides a good chipset solution in the future. Hell, I'd probably prefer SiS over VIA in the future. That's saying a lot.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

MSI's boards are rock stable,
                          I have built ~75 comps with msi k7t turbos and have not had a singel one die on me yet!

Still I think Intel makes bether chipsets than AMD!
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            Get a grip Technoid. VIA's designs are flawed. Besides that, they can't write drivers for their chipsets even though their company depends on it.

I noticed that you consider 100% of VIA problems to be either idiot users or weak power supplies.

Say it as it is! YOU think: "
                            Ok, I will revise;
                            I, Technoid think that:

30% of via related problems are PEBKAC.
                            30% are sub 300W PS units!.
                            30% POS BIOS on POS Motherboards.
                            10% Shit happens! (even on pure INTEL solutions)

You want a VIA problem? I replaced my AWESOME MSI-6167 with an Epox-8KTA3. From that day on, I couldn't burn a CD: my machine would lock up or reboot. I tried all sorts of stuff. Reinstalls, upgrades, tons of tweaks. VIA support didn't respond. Plextor tried to help, but couldn't. I scoured the web.
                            I found the 686B patch by George Breese hours after it was released. I installed it, and hallelujah, I burned a CD!. It took VIA months to even hint at the problem, even denying it publically after admitting it elsewhere (pulling a Condit?). That doesn't mean my board is flawless though. I still can't do Disc-on-the-Fly copying, since VIA can't get that working like my trusty AMD-750 would.

VIA has crappy drivers. Period. Their design skill may be okay, but their verification (functional and electrical, it seems) is awful.

I like running AMD processors. I just hope that AMD provides a good chipset solution in the future. Hell, I'd probably prefer SiS over VIA in the future. That's saying a lot.
                            If your problem had been solely a chipset problem George Breese pci register changing program (vich is what it is and it overides the pci settings that the bios does on POST) would't have improved anything.

It's more the fact that either Epox wanted their motherboard to performe better and hurled some stability overboard to make it faster!!

Lets get something straight!
                            This is how I se on the situation!!

1. VIA makes chips for motherboards.
                            2. VIA sells those chips to motherboard manufactors.
                            3. VIA provides basic guidlines on how to implement, optimize and programming bios.
                            4. The motherboard manufactors implements those chipset in those ways it suits them.
                            5. VIA is not and should not be responsible for how other companies implement their chipsets!
                            6. VIA actualy tries to make Drivers that corrects mistakes that motherboard manufactor does, when they just could say "tough luck, try contacting {brand name}'s support" and don't be much more evil than other chip manufactors.!
                            Many chip manufactor don't offer any kind of end-user support for their products.

Last edited by Technoid; 16 August 2001, 14:48.

Comment

Lets get something straight!
                              This is how I se on the situation!!

1. VIA makes chips for motherboards.
                              2. VIA sells those chips to motherboard manufactors.
                              3. VIA provides basic guidlines on how to implement, optimize and programming bios.
                              4. The motherboard manufactors implements those chipset in those ways it suits them.
                              5. VIA is not and should not be responsible for how other companies implement their chipsets!
                              6. VIA actualy tries to make Drivers that corrects mistakes that motherboard manufactor does, when they just could say "tough luck, try contacting {brand name}'s support" and don't be much more evil than other chip manufactors.!
                              Many chip manufactor don't offer any kind of end-user support for their products.
                              Isn't that basically the way nVidia does their chips?? But do you see anyone really blaming them.

Joel
                              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X