Radeon 8500 Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 8500 Revealed

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hmmm.....

Unfortunately ATi would not supply us with data about the power consumption of the chip or its die size. However, it seems as if the chip is very fully packed, since ATi was not able to find space enough for a second RAMDAC as required by HydraVision
    Last edited by Guru; 13 August 2001, 23:05.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Radeon kicks ass.

Well i dont know what everyone else thinks about the new Radeon 8500, but I'm impressed by the performance. And when last radeon's pic quality was allmost par to Matrox, i found my next gen graphics card for the next 1-2 years.

The drivers are still lagging the card down, but lets face it.. they wont even release the damn thing in 1-1.5 months.. so guessing that on release day they have fixed alot and you can get most of your new kickass card.

I was going to buy a GF2 PRO ( Gainward ), but now im waiting for Radeon 8500.

PeTe

Ps. Have you noticed that in the last 3-6 months the number of posts in the forums have come down ALOT... most people have changed Matrox cards to NVidia or ATI, thats my guess.

Comment

Re: Radeon kicks ass.

Originally posted by PeTe
        The drivers are still lagging the card down, but lets face it..
        ...they propably will for the next 2 or 3 years!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Well i dont think that Matrox has done any better with it's products than ATI. Just remeber G200, videotools etc. support and now the drivers are coming around.. yeah, Radeon 1 drivers were quite bad at first, but i dont remeber reading about complaining customers in a while.. ( dont know if im just ignoring them but there seems to be alot less of those treads ).

Every new card have driver problems when releasing due the fact that nowadays you have to make 98/me/W2k/XP/linux drivers when few years ago 1 drivers did the trick.

Atleast ATI has proven that they can make a graphics card that can compete with NVidias finest and i really dont think Matrox has anything to show for a looooong time to the enthusiast/gaming community.

Sure ATI needs to fix those bugs in their drivers, but you have to give them some credit making a pretty darn good product and furthermore a board that has potential to whipe GF3 of the market. Whithout this kind of competition NVidia would have monopoly in the high end-graphics card market and guess why GF3 costs that much ?

Sure im going to follow the Radeon 8500 driver progress before buying the damn thing, but the card isnt even out over 1 months.. so dont trash it yet. =)

PeTe

Comment

I´ve been using a Radeon 32DDR for some months and I have nothing to complain about regarding the drivers (for Win 98).
            The last three sets, of their "leaked" variety, have all worked without any problems with the standard programs from Corel, Adobe, Macromedia, M$, as well as 3dsMax and the like. The usual benchmarks and the games I run (no FPS:es, except QIII for benchmarking) work without glitches.

To me, the Radeon 7500 seems to be the real bargain, unless Matrox (or BitBoys ) have come up with something better in a month or two

That kind of performance and all the display options is all I need for the next year, and the price is just right.

For now, the 8500 is overkill.

rubank

Damn tyupoes!!!!
            Last edited by rubank; 14 August 2001, 05:37.

Comment

Here is another article http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1517

I'm not "trashing" it! I'm just beeing sarcastic! Anyways any card that is a pain in the arse for Nvidiot is a good card in my book!

Comment

Saw this in Anand's article...

In Valve's upcoming September patch for Counterstrike, TRUFORM support will be included so Radeon 8500 owners can gain better graphics without any performance hit. We were allowed to bring you a few screenshots of exactly what this will bring users.

Check out the screenshots, it really looks good.

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

... The new chip will come with hardware accelerated MPEG2-decoding, motion compensation and iDCT for top-notch DVD-playback as well as MPEG2-recording. ...
                  Nice!!! These are exactly the features I've been hoping to see in the "G800". I'm more interested in the video aspects of any new cards rather than the 3-D features. DVDMax and TV out are what convinced me to buy the G400 Max when it was announced.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

some people argue that motion compensation and iDTC give inferior dvd playback quality compared to full software playback with most of the newer dvd players.

nevertheless decoding mpeg2 and outputting it through the DVD-MAX feature uses only 30 - 40 percent cpu time with my G400 + P3-933, and with a g450/g550 tv-out it would use 10-15 on top of that I guess. quite acceptable, if you set the priority of the video player a tad higher imho, looking at the average speed of cpus sold nowadays.

That's why I also doubt that we'll ever see any sort of hardware video playback acceleration on matrox chips.
                    Last edited by dZeus; 14 August 2001, 09:34.

Comment

Re: Radeon kicks ass.

Originally posted by PeTe
                      Well i dont know what everyone else thinks about the new Radeon 8500, but I'm impressed by the performance. And when last radeon's pic quality was allmost par to Matrox, i found my next gen graphics card for the next 1-2 years.
                      I've already got a GF3, and since there probably won't be any games that take advantage of even its full feature set for quite a while..
                      I was going to buy a GF2 PRO ( Gainward ), but now im waiting for Radeon 8500.
                      Hmm.. Did you pay attention to the current Estimated Price? Compare that to the GF2 Pro you were going to buy. Maybe the extra 2D quality (assuming it lives up to past ATI products, anyway, since 2D quality wasn't mentioned in the reviews) is worth the major cost difference to you..

Ps. Have you noticed that in the last 3-6 months the number of posts in the forums have come down ALOT... most people have changed Matrox cards to NVidia or ATI, thats my guess.
                      I don't think the reason posts have come down is because we've all got other cards. It's mainly because Big M hasn't released any new cards that most of us want in a while. Those of us that want them for 2D with the occasional game have been finding the G400s (basic and Max) to be just as good 2D-wise, while 3D performance is better on the Max than the later products..

And the others of us that are into gaming more heavily haven't really been left much choice but to buy elsewhere for the meantime.

Basically, outside of the occasional rumor, off-topic stuff, or helping someone with problems setting up their systems, there hasn't been much to generate extra chatter here.

I'm sure once Matrox releases the latest gamer card, the board'll pick up again.
                      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                      Gainward Ti4600
                      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Once again ATI has a promising product hobbied by driver support. I know this was just a preview but after seeing what happened with my father's Rage and my AIW Radeon driver-wise I'll stay away untill I see a marked improvement in their driver support. My kyro2 will hopefully hold me over till Matrox comes out with something not based off the G4xx core....I hope!

Scott
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I'm not as concerned with hardware as I am with drivers

There are two things that are stopping me from buying a new video card: nVidia products have bad 2D. Everyone else has bad drivers on one platform or another.

I need a card that will work in Windows AND Linux. ATi seems to have trouble supporting W2K (but they've helped the community enough that the Linux drivers are better than the Windows ones in some cases), Matrox doesn't support Linux like they used to, and left video capture people out in the cold all over the place. Kyro: good cards it seems, but only have framebuffer support under Linux right now. nVidia has great drivers for Linux, with performance as good as their windows boxes.

You can pack all sorts of features into your card, but if I can't use them, I don't care.

And before anybody asks why I need Linux performance: Yes, I play OpenGL CounterStrike under Linux now, and I demand better support in the future.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, well! Look like nVidia could have a prblem if ATI manages to make good drivers! The specs. on this chip is very good, better than the GeForce3... But with ATI's driver-suport, this can be very interesting!

I think this will be a kick in the back for Matrox, both the new Radeon chips will have Hydravision (DualHead), and will compete with ahem. the G450 & G550, and as you guess, ATI will outpreform Matrox in every category exept 2D speed, and quality, but ATI's 2D speed and quality is almost as good as Matrox's, and with the superior 3D speed of the Radeon compared to Matrox Gxxx OEM's will chose ATI over Matrox

I think we will se a new 3D chip from Matrox before chrismas, announced, not released of course......

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                              ... decoding mpeg2 and outputting it through the DVD-MAX feature uses only 30 - 40 percent cpu time with my G400 + P3-933.
                              How well does your system handle HD content?

... That's why I also doubt that we'll ever see any sort of hardware video playback acceleration on matrox chips.
                              The chip also supports encoding acceleration. Matrox could use this feature if they haven't alienated too many of the video customers.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X