Creative next gen sound card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative next gen sound card...

So what does everyone else think of this then?

Creative Introduces High Definition
    Multi-Environment Audio Processor
    Audigy™ Processor Powers EAX® ADVANCED HD™
    SINGAPORE - August 13, 2001 - Creative Technology Ltd. (NASDAQ: CREAF), the worldwide leader in digital entertainment products for the personal computer and the Internet, today announced the next-generation Audigy™ audio processor and EAX® ADVANCED HD™, two core elements of Creative's future audio developments.

The new Audigy processor boasts four times the effects processing power of Creative Technology's famed EMU10K1™ processor, which powers the industry-leading Sound Blaster® Live!™ brand of PC audio cards. Its dedicated design makes it uniquely capable of executing the complex audio algorithms required to produce higher fidelity reverb and effects, as well as powering advanced 3D audio imaging for games, music and home studio productions.

"Audigy and EAX ADVANCED HD represent an exponential leap in the power and functionality of PC audio," said Sim Wong Hoo, founder and CEO of Creative. "Creative is the pioneer in audio technology for the PC, and these innovations position us for continued leadership and success in both the PC and consumer electronics markets."

The Audigy audio processor features a 32-bit Multi-Effects Engine, which accelerates Creative's new EAX ADVANCED HD software to enhance both gaming and music listening experiences. For gaming, EAX ADVANCED HD provides unprecedented realism by providing users the following features:

Multi-Environment™ - Gamers can enjoy four simultaneous audio environments in real time;
    Environment Morphing™ - Provides a natural audio transition from one environment to another with real-time morphing of each environment's audio characteristics;
    Environment Panning™ - Enables gamers to hear the 3D spatialization and localization of an upcoming or distant environment;
    Environment Reflections™ - Allows the real-world phenomenon of sound bouncing off surfaces and returning to the gamer in full 3D;
    Environment Filtering™ - Utilizes high-pass audio filters to generate accurate simulation of sound from both indoor and outdoor environments.
    For game developers, the EAX ADVANCED HD game audio library provides a compelling set of useful tools with support for Microsoft's Direct Sound® API, the OpenAL™ API, Dolby Digital® 5.1 mixing API and EAGLE 3.0 Graphical Librarian Editor.
    Digital music enthusiasts will be able to utilize the interactive elements of EAX ADVANCED HD to enhance their listening experience, be it with CD Audio, MP3 or other digital formats and Dolby Digital music. Specific music-related benefits include:

Audio Clean-Up - Removes unwanted "hiss" and scratch noise from MP3 tracks or from material encoded to MP3 from cassette or LP;
    Time Scaling - Speeds up or slows down audio playback without changing the pitch or audio quality;
    EAX ADVANCED HD Audio Effects - Provides users a wide range of sophisticated environmental audio presets as well as special effects for an enriched music experience;
    DREAM™ - Create enhanced surround sound from any stereo source by redirecting the path of a specific frequency range.
    Look for more information about the Audigy processor in coming weeks at www.creative.com and www.soundblaster.com.
    About Creative
    Originally from http://asia.creative.com/press/2001/p010813.html

J1NG

Cool!

It _STILL_ won't work on SMP machines under Win2k.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

How do you know that Gurm? For all you know this may be the best audio card ever made...

then again it could suck @$$.

My biggest question is how good is the DSP? Where's the white sheet on this new card???

Guess we'll haft to wait and see

Jammrock

Getting ready to replace his 3 year old SB Live!...finally...
      Last edited by Jammrock; 13 August 2001, 19:37.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

PC- soundcards.. LOL.

My SB 128PCI is more than enough when playing games and testing those thousands mp3 i have. =)

( Used to have that legendary SB 16 VE, but when i sold my old computer i had to let it go. =)

Why spend money on a soundcard, you dont watch movies or listen music with your computer anyway.. atleast if you really are in to hi-fi/good quality sound..

PeTe

Comment

I wonder if it will work more happily on Via chipsets
          Probably not.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Just a reminder these new Creative cards will contain SDMI ("Secure Digital Music Initiative"). Rights restriction built right into the hardware. A boon for the RIAA, a bust for the music-buying public!

Comment

I "know" because nobody has yet built a card that DOES work correctly with hardware polling, SMP, or ACPI.

Especially Creative.

- Gurm

P.S. If they manage to prove me wrong, I'll be a happy man. Until then, I'm a registered cynic.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Well, this looks like a very good chip!

And it will be availible in September, that's good!

Hey guys, don't juge it before you se it in action.........

Comment

The GTXP is a killer card, as well. And... well... it sucks in Win2k. (All the reviews said it was GREAT in Win2k).

The Philips AE is a great card, supposed to be great in Win2k. SUCKS. SMP crashes it hard.

Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz is the only current-gen card that works with SMP. The ONLY ONE. How f***ing sad is that?

- Gurm

Comment

imho, the SMP driver situation reflects the market situation of the amount of soundcards being used in multi-processor systems taht are used for consumer purposes, which matches the target audience where the soundcard manufacturers aims at.

Obviously the soundcard(/chip) manufacturers currently do not regard the effort needed to implement smp support/compliance worth the payoff for the relatively very small amount of consumers with smp systems.

Can you blame them for this reasoning? I think that depends on the actual amount of effort needed to make the soundcard drivers smp compliant. You can be mad at this situation, but you also need to keep in mind that you could perfectly know the risks of running a 'non-standard' configuration (don't any pc hardware/software sites like 2cpu.com have any info on the current situation on smp support by hardware devices? I haven't looked there myself, but I can hardly imagine that this is not the case at all).

just my view on this issue, not a rant or a flamebait

Comment

Gurm....

What do you mean by working in smp???

I ask this because i'm using a sb live with a dual p3 ghz on a intel 840 board in win2k(of course)and i never had any issues at all in any app i can think of....
                      note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                      P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

superfly:

You are EXTREMELY lucky. Most people running a dual board have nothing but crackles, bluescreens, and crashes. Are you using Liveware or the built-in drivers?

dZeus:

I simply expect it not to crash. I'm not asking the drivers to take advantage of SMP, that would be entirely too optimistic. But it's not too much to ask that the drivers NOT corrupt the system or cause blue screens, is it?

- Gurm

Comment

The copy protection scheme will probably be dirt easy to circumvent:

As long as you don't use the encoding programs shipped with the card.

Is there a reason to use special hardware solutions to encode MP3?

I don't think so, a duron 700 encodes 4 minutes of wav in 40 sec flat.

Ir would be great if the firewire port is general purpose also and not only for the uppkoming new wersion of the nomad jukebox...
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well right now i'm just using the latest drivers from creative but i've used previous versions and didn't really have any issues at all...

In fact the only app where i had any issues was in nascar 4 where the sound had a tendency to distort from time to time,but the latest drivers fixed that quite nicely....

i'm even running Q3 in full smp mode and have to problems at all even with the sound set at full quality,and never had any lockup or blue screen issues period....
                            note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                            P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Some more info...

Some more info of the new "Sound Blaster Live! 2"

Originally obtained from viahardware www.viahardware.com

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                              X