Running HL in OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running HL in OpenGL

I've upgraded my system (PIII800, 396Mb,Soyo Mobo with VIA chipset & a G400 Marvel) to Win2k and now I can't run Halflife in OpenGL only Direct3d. It used to work with Win98. It just tells me that the "video mode is not supported" when I select the default openGL driver. I'm pretty sure that it should work, can any one help? I've just upgraded to the 5.39 drivers dated 21/6/01.

Thanks in advance!

Oops, doesn't matter.. i had the wrong version of opengl32.dll in the HL directory...

Its crashing on me all the time though in CS now! I'll search the forums to see if i can solve it.

Comment

there shouldn't be any opengl32.dll in your HL directory.

Rags

Comment

Oh well.... back to direct3d.

CS crashes about 2 minutes into every game. Anyone of you nice people want to add to my thread with any ideas?

Comment

Force it to 1X and see if it helps. (use the MTSTU utility available on the www.murc.ws front page).

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the replies Rags!
            I've already set the AGP back to 1x done this as i've seen it suggested in the other threads. I've just tried to run basic HL in single player mode and it did a similar thing, crashes with a sound loop. In both cases of the crashes it seems to be when there is a large noise about to happen, e.g. a grenade, I've got a creative SB live in my system. I've noticed in other threads that there might be a problem with these drivers, mine are dated 5/5/2000. I'll go and have a look at the creative site to see if there are updated drivers...
            I have to say though HL looks fricking gorgeous in opengl @ 1260... I hope i don't have to go back to d3d

Comment

Ok, here we go.... I have used the tweaking tool to set my G4oo marvel to run at AGPx1, i'm using the 5.39 marvel driver, i've updated to the latest creative drivers for my sb live and i've put the newest via 4in1 drivers on (4.32). I've gone though reapplying SP2 for 2k and replacing the viaagp1.sys by VIA with the viaagp.sys by microsoft and this has remained resident in the system32/drivers folder, using the method described in one of these posts.
              I thought this had solved it and I managed to run CS for about 4 minutes, but this time all the textures started becoming a little psycadelic and then my PC rebooted. I tried running in 800x600 which gave the same result.
              I've kinda hit a wall with this now, can you guys suggest anything else?

Thanks!

Comment

396 MB of memory? You must have an odd stick in there in some way. Try taking one stick of memory out at a time and retest. Let me know.

Rags

Comment

I figure it is 384
                  Althouth that would be 393216KB
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Have you also upgraded HL to the latest 1.1.0.7 patch since upgrading to Win2k?
                    Playing HL-TFC or basic HL crashes out either with HW.DLL errors or soundloop on my PC under either Win98Se or Win2k. Direct3D works fine, and openGL used to work fine under 98SE when using 1.1.0.6 on my older machine (but still with the G400max)
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I'm running 1.1.0.7. I've yanked out one of my PC100 dimms, i had three 128Mb's (two PC133 & one PC100), and it is now running a lot better. It doesn't crash in TFC anymore but the textures go weird. I won't be able to test CS till tonight.
                      I've attached a screen dump from TFC to show ya all.

Thanks for all the help so far...... i am getting there slowly!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Okay, we are close now, indeed.

Download the 5.52 drivers, extract them to a directory, then use winzip to unpack g400icd.dl_ and name it g400icd.DLL. Put this in your winnt\system32 directory (back up your old one first).

Rags

Comment

AGP aperture setting?

The AGP aperture setting for Win2K is a lot more finicky than Win98. Make sure it is exactly half the size of your RAM. With Win9x, I had my aperture set at 256 with only 128 MB of RAM. With Win2k, I had to set it at 128 with 256 MB of RAM to get 3D games to run. Again, this is from more than a year ago and the Matrox Win2K drivers may not care about the aperture size any more.

-Rahul
                          Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
                          Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Eek, i've renamed my existing ICD file and copied in the 5.5.2 dll and now ALL the HL mods report that I cannot run opengl.
                            Please remember that I have a Marvel card, not a Millenium!

Comment

That's because you didn't do what I told you.

DO THIS:
                              Open winzip. Choose open, point to the location of the g400icd.dl_ file and open it, choose extract, use g400icd.dll as the filename. BACKUP your good copy of the icd, and put the new one in its place. Doesn't matter if it's a marvel or not.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X