Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlaced problem

Hi,

Trying to capture from old VHS source which already has some large (ish) text which scrolls from right to left across the screen.

If I capture at 704x576 and playback through DH DVDMax (Marvel G400) it looks great.

If I capture at 352x288 (my aim was to make a std VCD) it goes all flickery. Likewise deinterlacing (tried various VD filters) the 704x576 version it goes flickery again.

I also tried capturing @ 480x576 to do SVCD, but again it starts to flicker lots - this is on the source AVI so has nothing to do with the MPEG2 file.

Tried capturing with both Huffy and PicVideo.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

No doubt you're missing just enough data after a dumb delacing (field drop) to make life miserable.

IF it were still on the market I'd suggest running it through FilmRender, but that product was withdrawn after pirates cracked its registration code. My next best suggestion would be to run the footage through VirtualDUB using one of the delacing plugins available for it.

These "smart delacers" interpolate data from both fields before creating a delaced image. This typically results in much less in the way of artifacting, but there are no guarantees. Weirdness in the source can still scuttle your efforts.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc M,

I've tried all modes of the standard VD deinterlace filter and tried Donald Graft's "smart deinterlace", trying various setting for the blend/interpolate - various thresholds etc, but it seems a no go... :-(

I'm gonna try capturing with my WinTV to see if this makes things any better - probably not, but I'm willing to try anything.

Isn't this fun... argh!

Rob.

Update... tried the WinTV, but the result was the same so it's not a Marvel issue. Have to play some more with different software to see if I can solve it...
      Last edited by Rob100; 11 August 2001, 11:50.

Comment

Working...
      X