Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the better editing solution?

The Matrox G400-TV 16MB...
    or the Matrox G400 32MB with the Rainbow Runner G-series add-on?
    Vince

Vince, please do my head a favour and read through the forum to try and glean an answer.

We've been through this hoop so many times that it squeaks - there is no "form" answer, it depends on your own requirements. All points of view have been posted here, it just needs some effort to find them. There is a search facility if it helps.......

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion of using the "search" button. I didn't even notice it was there.

And, if anyone reading this is trying to make the same decision as me, this is what I have found out:

The G400-TV:
      Pros - Just have to buy 1 product, nice BOB.
      Cons - Only 16MB, basic editing software (Avid).
      Cost - Around $275.

The G400 with Rainbow Runner:
      Pros - Choice of graphic card (16MB, 32Mb, or 32MB MAX), better editing software (MSP).
      Cons - No BOB, more than 1 product to buy.
      Total Cost - Around $275 to $310, depending on which video card.

From what I have read, both solutions have nearly the same editing performance. I hope this helps out anyone trying to chose between cards.

Vince

[This message has been edited by Vince (edited 18 March 2000).]
      Vince

Comment

Add onto your con list for the G400/RRG solution that TV tuner performance suffers due to the card's proximity to the power source. However, the extra 16MB of video memory is worth it in my opinion.

- Aryko

Comment

Vince

The extra 16 Mb you get with the 2-card solution is useless unless you are also into very greedy games and suchlike. If you are only using it for TV apps, go for the Marvel every time.

------------------
          Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Vince: One other thing to keep in mind: If you have an Abit motherboard there's a fairly good chance you will have trouble getting the RRG to work properly. (it's an issue with abit motherboards and their poor quality voltage regulators requiring very good quality power output from the power supply)
            I've used both the G200/RRG and the Marvel G200, and from my perspective (one who really doesn't use Avid nor Ulead) they are functionally identicle.

Comment

Everyone - Thanks for the advice.

- I am not using an Abit motherboard, these are my current system specs.
              FIC SD-11 w/ Athlon 500
              128MB RAM
              ATI All In Wonder 128 16MB AGP
              16.8GB ATA/33 Boot HD and 17.4GB ATA/66 A/V HD
              Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
              Diamond 56K Modem
              D-Link 10/100 Ethernet Card

Also - I'll be using the card mostly for video editing, and sometimes for games.
              I think I'll end up flipping a coin over which card to buy.

Vince

[This message has been edited by Vince (edited 18 March 2000).]
              Vince

Comment

The g200 & RRG droppes less frames than G400 & RRG!

------------------
                INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                SBlive
                192 MB RAM CAS2
                43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X