Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diablo 2, S3 Virge + VooDoo 2 woes (HELP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo 2, S3 Virge + VooDoo 2 woes (HELP!)

Hi MURC

I have a problem: I brought my girlfriend a VooDoo 2 for her quite old PC, mainly because I know it greatly improves the performance of Diablo 2 in old PCs. Although it worked for me with my Millennium at home, D2 won't start when using Glide in her PC (AMD K6 233 on some OEM MB with SiS chipset, 256 MB high quality SDRAM, s3 Virge DX PCI , Diamond Monster 2).

I've tried both 3Dfx and Diamond drivers, which worked in my system, tried video bios shadow on and off. The cards does work, as Gabriel Knight 3 uses it (through DX7, though).

Is there a known problem with s3 cards and the V2 (other than that s3 is utter crap)? Or can you even help me? We are now limited to running Diablo 2 in DirectDraw, which is both slow and ugly - please help!

AZ, who didn't have time to visit the fori lately (hope all is well even without me )
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

there used to be a patch out there for the Virge/VooDoo2 combo....poke around the S3 site and I'll see if I still have it backed up somewhere

-Dil
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Here's the fix for the voodoo 2.

<A HREF="http://spazm2000.cjb.net/s3/s3fixv2.exe">Voodoo2</a>
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Thx! I'll try it right now. You guys are FAST

AZ

Comment

Doesn't work

WinZip file header corrupt...

could you maybe upload it again please or just post an url?

AZ

Comment

DOH.... the on which i've upped the file cutted the download in half and i can't reconnect now.... give me your email and i'll email the file it's ~200k.

Spazm
            P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

best mail to azrael_katz@gmx.net.

AZ

Comment

ok, it's sent.... tell me if it works.

Spazm

Comment

still the same file & the same problem

AZ, now with Avatar

Comment

Erm.. by that I meant, the file is still corrupted

AZ

Comment

damn.... still corrupted. I've got no prob unpacking it...

Check my profile contact me by icq.

Spazm

Comment

finally got the files - thank you so much for your time and effort!!

won't work though, unfortunately

so - any further help is greatly appreciated

AZ (saying good night for now )

Comment

I just thought about something AZ.... the patch i gave u was for S3 with chipset 968 or 868 used with a voodoo2... maybe the S3 in your computer has a different chipset... if so give me the chipset model and i'll check if there's a patch for voodoo2 on that particular model.

Spazm

Comment

It's Virge DX (s3 375). a patch for Virge GX (s3 385) might also work, as both use the same driver (it's not a unified driver, it's just because the two chips are almost the same).

Thank you again for your help - I knew why I came here

AZ

Comment

Sorry man... i found nothing for that chipset.
                              Maybe the best option would be to change the S3 for something equivalent since she'll mostly use the voodoo2. I've seen video cards for 10$ at some places. Too bad u already had bought the voodoo2... i've also seen a voodoo3 (AGP) for 40$.

Spazm

Comment

Working...
                              X