Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macromedia Flash 5.0 advertisong player driving me NUTS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macromedia Flash 5.0 advertisong player driving me NUTS!

Is there anyway to get rid of that stupid aggravating pop up by Macromedia flash 5 player...it jumps up wanting me to install software for a flash 5 based ad when I am on a web page...I keep saying "no" I do not want to install but it pops up everytime I refresh the page. I am using IE 5.5, and suggestions...I've turned everything off in the advanced properties in IE5 except images...it'd be a real pain to turn that off.

regards

dc

ps...for example this page uses it a lot

Last edited by dancray; 8 August 2001, 13:51.

Refreched the page 10 times now and I did not get any popup adds!

Q. Why don't you just install the latest version of macromedia shockwave and flash player?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I guess you have the flash player installed; which of course does not pop up demanding you to install it if it is already in your machine. My point is that I do NOT want to install a flash player just so some advertiser gets to hog my machine up with more uselsess software. sigh. oh, well.

Comment

I agree, flash is an irritanting bandwitdth hog.

try this:

add the two following to your hosts file

127.0.0.1 download.macromedia.com
        127.0.0.1 www.macromedia.com

host file is located in "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc" for win2k/nt and I think "c:\windows" for 95..etc

so when a page finds a flash thing, it will request try to load the plugin from the site, but will be blocked.

you may have to reboot to get your new hosts file loaded...

it is also good for remove ads from most pages

eg
        127.0.0.1 ads.euniverseads.com
        127.0.0.1 ads.link4ads.com
        127.0.0.1 connect.247media.com

everytime you find an irritanting ad, right click and find its location and add it to your hosts file(remeber to add the 127.0.0.1 biut as well)

be careful not to add sites you want to visit(you can't always block all ads)

anyone have a better solution (filtering *.swf files?)

Comment

ok...but how do I locate the originating add page...for example I think the below page uses a flash 5 ad but not sure what part of the location in place in the hosts file. Do I right click on the ad only (box where it originates on the web page) to locate it's origin or the web page itself ads and all?

for example this page

Last edited by dancray; 9 August 2001, 07:48.

Comment

Working...
          X