Need help deciding on new hardware...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding on new hardware...

Originally I planned on getting a Matrox G550 to replace my G400 SH (since I'm not planning to use my computer much for gaming due to school starting in the new couple of weeks), but after seeing some of the new features that I didn't need, I was wondering if I should just get a Radeon VE (~$60) instead. I also need help on picking a TV tuner card. I want to be able to:

- Use two monitors (GF2MX is not an option)
    - Ability to use second monitor to watch DVD/DIVX while first monitor is playing Counter-Strike/Normal Browsing.
    - Ability to split cable line from cable modem to cable tv and watch TV on second monitor.
    - Decent speed in Counter-Strike (According to CHIPS, the Radeon VE gets ~30 FPS more than the G550).

Good Windows 2000 support is optional, if the Radeon VE Win2K drivers are that bad, I am fine with sticking with WinME. So what I want to know is what video card I should get, TV tuner card, and something to split my cable line (what would I get?). I am not looking to pay more than about... $175, unless TV tuner cards and a splitter for my cable line is expensive (I don't know how much those would cost.)
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
    Generic DVD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
    3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
    Windows ME
    6.20 G400 Drivers

Should I comment or not, that is the Q

(as Greebe bites his tongue this time trying to be nice for once
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes - get my day off to a good start!
      FT.

Comment

?
        AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
        Asus K7V Motherboard
        384MB PC-100 SDRAM
        20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
        30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
        Generic DVD-ROM
        IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
        SB Live Value
        Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
        SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
        3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
        Windows ME
        6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

I'm hoping that the G400 I have will last a couple of more months, but if it doesn't I'm leaning towards a Raedon, as the Kyro2 does'nt have a T&L engine, and the G4ceMX cards are kinda crappy for anything other than gaming. I hope Matrox makes a DX8 part that is semi competitive 3D wise, or that the next gen Kyro or Raedon chip comes out.

I don't use dual head, so that part is out, but if you want TV tuner cards, they are plentiful and cheap. Does the ATI All In Wonder have one built in??

Just put a splitter in the line near your computer, and run one into the modem and one into the tuner card. The cheapies are cheap, but you can buy a better one from Monster(the guys that make speaker wire) and they are ALOT better, but they are also around $25.00(Canadian) and availiable at some electronics stores. In California, you should have no prob finding one. But the cheap ones work fine too. Just remember that the Cable company may frown on you doing this as they like to charge for the extra outlets.
          AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X