Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ehm... I don't if someone is interested, but I think I have very wierd information...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ehm... I don't if someone is interested, but I think I have very wierd information...

Hi all folks again.

at Last weekend I visited at The Assembly, Helsinki. And one of the Bitboys main engineers gave a presentation about their upcoming chip, and you can read it here more:

Anyway, what was wierd was that presented, so called, final reference board. It had a DualHead in it's full meaning. Component layout as far as I remember, and those connectors (and their places) were _VERY_ identical when compared to G450 DualHead boards.

and as you know there has been co-operation between Matrox and Bitboys before. (EMBM.) Also I heard that Haig has said in Matrox forums that they have solved memory bandwidth problem using 512 bit memory bus... interesting??

anyway, I don't think that Matrox would directly use BB's upcoming chip, but instead they could have a deal. Matrox sells DualHead and 2D knowhow to BB and BB licenses XBA tech. (that would explain why Matrox has 512bit bus and BB has 1024bit. Matrox has always made an excelent regular gamer cards, but Bitboys is heading for high end.)

any comments?
    "Dippadai"

Hello Nappe1,
    I already put a link to the threads at beyond3d in General Hardware/Software forum.
    Thanks for your infos from Assembly2001.
    One thing :
    I searched Matrox support forums but could not find Haig's statement on that 512-bit bus.
    Got me a link?
    Hati

Comment

Matrox Forums search engine is broken. "matches so far:" jumps randomly.

anyway, I have a link where I heard this...

and you can find it from Malakas' comment (first page, about half way down.)
      "Dippadai"

Comment

Hello Nappe1,

I already know this thread. See my posting mentioned above :

I hope this discussion is not going to become a new round of bitboys-bashing!
        I for myself dont know what to think about all those rumors on a possible Matrox-Bitboys connection.
        Guess the best one can do is to wait and see.

Hati

Comment

Matrox and third-party chips

Why is it unlikely that Matrox will use the actual Bitboyz chip? There is precedent for it - Matrox produced the M3D, which was basically a Videologic/PowerVR PCX2 board with the Matrox name stamped on it. This was basically to fill a gap in the market while they produced their own 3D offerings.

Likewise, I can imagine a newcomer like Bitboyz wanting to speak to a major GPU maker to get help and advice on producing silicon and so on, and Matrox is the big player who stands to lose least and gain most through a collaboration.

If Matrox ARE collaborating closely with Bitboyz, they would be sensible to invest in them whilst they don't have a product on the market and can therefore get a decent chunk of the company for a relatively small capital outlay. Maybe we should be watching out for signs that Matrox are buying a stake in Bitboyz?

Lemmin

Comment

Nappe1, the reason you can't find it through searching is because Haig wouldn't have said that about a future product.

Reason, he would have been fired in a heart beat if true.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Bitboys updated their website with some information about their XBA architecture (http://www.bitboys.com/xba.html).
              If I remember right they wanted to shut down their PR until they are about to present something.
              Maybe we will see real silicon from Bitboys soon.

I'm still hoping Matrox did not give up the 3D/gaming market.

From xbitlabs :

Anyway, we remember that Matrox has also promised to launch a high-performance gaming solution, which is allegedly in progress right now. Hopefully, it was not a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Nappe1, the reason you can't find it through searching is because Haig wouldn't have said that about a future product.

Reason, he would have been fired in a heart beat if true.
                too bad, anyway as I have said here before, I don't think that it is impossible to see BB tech on Matrox chips. (I don't think the whole chip from BB is possible. Matrox has come a long way from m3d so I don't think they want start using 3rd party chips. anything is possible though. )

And what comes to Bitboys and their own chip, well if I would say all I know, noone would beleve me (maybe MK ), so just wait and see.
                "Dippadai"

Comment

<font size="1">
                  Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                  ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                  Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                  2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                  256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                  Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                  ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                  Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                  Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                  Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                  HP Deskjet 959C
                  Plantronics LS1 Headset
                  all on W2k Professional SP2
                  </font>

Comment

I think Matrox have been stung one too many times in using other company's chips (M3D - crap; G200's DVD module - crap; RR-G - drop support after win9x). I can't see them doing anything for their next big card apart from designing it themselves from scratch (i.e. without stealing technology from elsewhere *cough* like nvidia *cough*), and doing the board designs themselves totally.

Comment

Matrox KyroIII or Matrox R200. What do you think??? I would buy it. Would you???
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

And a Matrox-Bitboys chip ?
                        I guess I would buy one, depending on features/price etc.
                        But yet that's all pure speculation.

Comment

Naw I wouldn't buy one... would get it for free (sorry couldn't resist
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

to get one for free would be the best indeed.
                            As someone wrote over at beyond3d a card combining the (assumed) speed of Bitboys chip with Matrox quality would be a nice thing.
                            I wonder if this will become real ?

hati

Comment

based on the facts I know, the answer is no.
                              "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                              X