You really should check this out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You really should check this out!

I just found the single coolest thing I think I have seen in a long time. It is called "Drempels". It makes the bacground of your desktop a swirling, moving, lava lamp type thing. It isn't a screen saver, it runs on your desktop. Everything else on your desktop stays the same and works just as well. Here is a screen shot from the site, but it is not even close to what the actual program looks like. The actual program intigrates a lot of colors and moves slower (if you tell it to) and is WAY smooth. It is actually very soothing to the eye. It runs in full screen in the place of your wallpaper.

Here's the link.

See what you think!
    Last edited by Pneumatic; 7 August 2001, 12:17.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Shame I can't get the desktop feature to work. Displays, Error: failed to creat overlay(no fourcc codes worked). and the screen saver is jerky
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm. Did you turn it down to the lower resolution? There are a ton of settings to tweak.

I haven't tried the screen saver thing yet. I have been playing with the wallpaper and it is running smooth as silk with EVERYTHING on high.

Of course I think we are using different video cards .
      Last edited by Pneumatic; 7 August 2001, 13:39.

Comment

Wow this is cool Thanks Kindness.

A bit counterproductive too though, I find myself minimizing all the windows to look at it from time to time
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

What's the point in using it if it won't run at the resolution needed? ie my desktop normally is set to 1600x1200 at either 16 or 32 bit (currently 16).
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

To be honest it really doesn't matter what resolution you run it at. It is just a swirl of colors and textures moving really slowly on the desktop. It looks cool even at the lowest settings

Comment

Way Cool Kindness!
              Some interesting observations:
              My 2nd Monitor has a black background when its running. If I then run a development app and crash out of it to interrupt, I'm back to a blue desktop, but the background to all the icon names are showing the swirling effect!
              Dragging windows is pretty slow to, but hey, this isn't exactly a productivity app.
              FT.

Comment

Cool! I notice that if I use clone mode set so that the main display goes down to 60 Hz the TV will properly show the overlay. But when it's running in the other mode so the monitor and TV arn't synced it just shows a black background. But if I turn DVDMax on it will output the overlay by itself, very pretty looking. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X