Intel to cut P3 prices 50% on Aug 26 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel to cut P3 prices 50% on Aug 26 2001

If you guys watch CNBC at all, all the chatter today has been about an anlayst on Intel saying that Intel will slash prices by 1/2 on Pentium 3 chips on Aug 26. No comment by Intel of course, but I would wait until then before buying a processor...possible if true to buy a P3- 1000 for under $100.

Find the latest Intel Corporation (INTC) stock quote, history, news and other vital information to help you with your stock trading and investing.

regards

dc

Looks like I know what I am getting on my birthday (Aug 26 )
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

best news I've heard all day!

Comment

Hell yeah!
        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

DOH! I just bought a Celeron 850 for $104 locally, and now Intel does that! ARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

Comment

Are you sure it's not the PIV they are reducing in price ?

( Would be more likely )
            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Actually it would make sense for them to slash the prices on the Pentium III 's as they are pretty close to end of the line now and as Intel moves on to Tulatin and Pentium IV and Itanium it would make sense to clear out as much PIII inventory as possible.

Comment

Who cares when you can get an Athlon 1.4GHz for the same price, and walk all over a P3 1GHz (or any P4), especially with DDR? Processors are so dirt cheap now, you might as well go for the top of the line every time. Loved the P3 2 years ago when I built my system, loved the PPro when this same P6 core was introduced SIX years ago, but the best architecture now is Athlon. That's what I'd get if I were building a computer now.

Comment

Intel Pentium III 1 GHz Flip-Chip Retail Box $318
                  Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz Retail Box $333

100 FSB (200)
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.0 GHz OEM $142
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.1 GHz OEM $165
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.2 GHz OEM $159

133 FSB (266)
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.0 GHz OEM/Box $142/194
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.333 GHz OEM/Box $214/234
                  AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.4 GHz OEM $270

This is from a shop in Toronto Canada that alot of my friends shop at (Because they have really decent prices and good people working there.)

If they slash the Pentium III 1Ghz 50% it comes in (Retail Boxed Version) pretty much on par with the AMD (OEM) 1Ghz Chips.
                  Last edited by cbman; 6 August 2001, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    Who cares when you can get an Athlon 1.4GHz for the same price, and walk all over a P3 1GHz (or any P4), especially with DDR? Processors are so dirt cheap now, you might as well go for the top of the line every time. Loved the P3 2 years ago when I built my system, loved the PPro when this same P6 core was introduced SIX years ago, but the best architecture now is Athlon. That's what I'd get if I were building a computer now.
                    Yeah but if you are a college student strapped for cash and can't upgrade your mobo, but desperetely need something faster then Celeron 466, then this is excellent news.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If they slash the Pentium III 1Ghz 50% it comes in (Retail Boxed Version) pretty much on par with the AMD (OEM) 1Ghz Chips.
                      Do you suppose that AMD prices will remain static? This price war is totally ridiculous, and AMD is just as crazy/stupid as Intel for playing this game. Athlon prices (particularly TBirds) will drop too, I'm sure. Add up everything you are getting, and factor in DDR ram. You'll get much more bang for your buck with the Athlon system, even if The P3 IS 50% cheaper than those figures.

Comment

The only think that I've heard is that the P4 prices are going to drop. However, it's not completely a price drop. Intel is also going to stop bundling the "free" stick of RDRAM that the P4's were coming with.

So, it's a little bit price cut, a little bit making you pay somewhere else. Well, that's if you make the mistake of buying a P4 now.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I did some searching and found that intel is only cutting the prices on the P4 and the P3 1.13 and 1.2 (Which we haven't seen here yet)

At least according to their site. (oh and it doesn't say how much... just that there will be a reduction.)

It doesn't matter anyways...

Comment

TnT said:
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "Yeah but if you are a college student strapped for cash and can't upgrade your mobo, but desperetely need something faster then Celeron 466, then this is excellent news."
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College students - - strapped for cash and can't afford a mobo upgrade? Yes you CAN! Here's how: next time you're about to hand over the cash for that new 3D accelerator, DVD player, sound card, joystick, or game...STOP! Put that stuff back on the shelf and go pick out your new MOBO.

Remember: "It's not our resources that limit our decisions, it's our decisions that limit our resources".

Athlon 1.4 GHz, Iwill KK266, 512mb pc-133, Millennium G400 32MB DH, RainbowRunner-G, WD 20gig 7200rpm, Imation IMW040420 CD-RW, .357 Smith & Wesson

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Feelgood

College students - - strapped for cash and can't afford a mobo upgrade? Yes you CAN! Here's how: next time you're about to hand over the cash for that new 3D accelerator, DVD player, sound card, joystick, or game...STOP! Put that stuff back on the shelf and go pick out your new MOBO.

Remember: "It's not our resources that limit our decisions, it's our decisions that limit our resources".
                              Um... I'm using a Marvel G200. Is that a new 3D accelerator?

Yes, you are right are decisions limit our resources. So if I decide to buy a cheap P3 processor, assuming they cut prices, and save money instead of buying a mobo and processor, doesn't that make more sense? Now if P3s cost more or as much as a mobo+AMD chip, then it doesn't, but if a P3 = Athlon in price then it is more cost effective to buy a P3 instead.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X