Radeon Hit and Miss Driver installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Hit and Miss Driver installation

Dont laugh but I have posted this twice on Rage3d without any comeback so I decided to come *Home* to see if any of you chaps can point me in the right direction.

After reformatting my hard drive, I am trying to re-install the Radeon drivers for Win2k but it reports the following

Severe.
    This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter(s)installed on your system.

Motherboard is an Aopen Apollo pro motherboard with a 533 celery o/c to 710.

I am also using the latest via drivers and Win2k service pack1. The odd thing is I can update the drivers via Microsoft update but not using any offical driver packs supplied by ATI. Unfortunately, using this method, I seem to lose much of the advanced functionality in the display properties (Open GL and Dx etc) and it limits the refresh of the card to 1600*1200 *75 (my G400 was able to do this at 90+). However games seem to run fine.

A crunch point is when tonight when I install Jbuilder 4. I hope the bugger works properly or it will be drop kicked out of the window.

As an aside I was able to resolve the installation problems when I originally bought the card back in Jan but it took me 2 weeks of slog and even then it was by a fluke of luck.

As an Aside to the Aside, installing drivers in Win98 is a breeze (makes me believe Win2k was an afterthought).
    regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

You might want to try the 'hacked' win 2k drivers from Omegadrive:

I've been using them for several weeks now and am quite happy with them.

Actually, I'm also using his win98 drivers as well (dual boot).

BTW, you can install them directly over the already installed drivers. If it asks you if you want to overwrite a newer file during the install, choose yes as these are 'optimized drivers using components from several driver sets.

Comment

Cheers, I will give them a try tonight

regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Good luck. Let me know if you're still having problems and I'll see if I can think of anything else that might help.

BTW, you might consider installing service pack 2. Besides all the various updates (like allowing ata 100) I found that on my system it seemed to help with gaming as well. Games seem somewhat smoother and a bit faster as well.

Comment

Thanks Victorian
          It seems that I now have full functionality.
          I just might pop along to Rage3d and answer my own question

regards MD
          Interests include:

Comment

Glad to hear it's running ok. Did you use Omega's drivers?

Comment

Sure did. Beats the hell out of me why I have had great difficulty using any of the standard Radeon drivers. Thanks anyway
              Interests include:

Comment

Not sure why you'd have had those problems either as the regular drivers worked fine for me. But I guess that's the nature of computers.

Anyway, glad things sorted out ok.

Comment

Working...
                X