DVD Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Players

Is the Apex 660A still the reccommended DVD player if you want to be able to play home-made VCDs? I tried doing a search here on DVD, but it wants 4 characters. I remember someone saying that this player played everything you can throw at it. I did do some searching on it on the web and was concerned that some people said it plays VCDs fine, but doesn't play DVDs!

I thought there was a link here once that told about different DVD players and how well they play VCDs, but since I can't search on DVD, I don't know how to find it. Anyone remember?

Any opinions on what one to buy? I'd like to get one soon.

Thanks,

Michelle

Is this what you are after?

Rob

Comment

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Michelle

Originally posted by Rob100
      Is this what you are after?

Rob

Comment

According to some info posted by Doc M, the Apex 660A does not officially support DVD-R. There are reports of some players working, some not, so its something you should consider if you are thinking of moving to DVD-R when prices come down a bit.

--wally.

Comment

I was actually thinking of getting a DVD-R when the prices come down significantly. But how long will that take? I'm wondering if I should be worrying about that so far ahead?

The more I read about this 660, the more confused I get. Like there doesn't seem to be a way to tell which version it is before you buy it. Sam's has 660s, but no letters after it. So I don't know what it is. The Apex web page doesn't even indicate that there is different versions.

Maybe I'll just wait some more before getting one. See what's available in another year...

Thanks,

Michelle

Originally posted by wkulecz
          According to some info posted by Doc M, the Apex 660A does not officially support DVD-R. There are reports of some players working, some not, so its something you should consider if you are thinking of moving to DVD-R when prices come down a bit.

--wally.

Comment

Michelle,

It isn't that far ahead. The new Panasonic DVD burner is priced at $499 with DVD-R blanks around $10 each. As you can see, prices have come down significantly in the last few months!
            Intel Pentium 4-478 @ 2.0 GHz
            Gigabyte 8ITXR mainboard
            512 MB 400 MHz RAMBUS memory
            2xMaxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM in IDE
            2xMaxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM in RAID-0
            Matrox G450-eTV
            Win98SE & Win XP Pro
            Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
            Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
            Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-RAM/R
            Canopus ADVC-100

Comment