HP 48GX graphing calculator PC emulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP 48GX graphing calculator PC emulators

Anyone ever use any HP calculator emulators on their PC?

I am trying to get my PC to do the stuff my HP 48GX does, but having little to no luck.

I've downloaded Emu48, and a bunch of various utilities off the net for uploading/downloading files and memory cards, and converting those files to something Emu48 can use, but it's not working.

I have the basic Emu48 emulator running off of a ROM dump from the 48GX calculator, but I also need the programs in the expansion card to run. When I copy the card contents, and try to use them, Emu48 gives me an "not a valid document" error.

Anyone dealt with one of these before?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Are you trying to transfer software from ROM cards you already have for your real 48GX or just downloading stuff from the net?

Comment

I'm trying to d/l a ROM card I use in the real 48GX.
      It's a Tripod systems TDS survey card I use for calculating vertical curce, spirals, grades, etc...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Ah, that's what I figured you were trying to do. I don't have any cards, but did you check this site? Emu48 homepage

Comment

You're going about it all wrong. You have to start with one of the Win2K European releases. Cross the wires on your CD rom so it spins the other way. When you're offered choice of languages, select Polish.

You can see where this is going.

HA! I kill me.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually, Jon, yes...that is where I got many of the utilities I am using to try to get this working, along with http://www.hpcalc.org/.

I used his ROMdump to get the initial emulator emu48 running.
            I used his Cardupl to get the image from my TDS ROM card.

Problem is, nobody makes an app that does it all.

To use cardupl, I had to d/l a util to load cardupl onto my 48GX.
            Then, after cardload does it's thing, you need to use 2 more utils to convert that file to something emu48 can understand.

As it stands, I have used:
            Emu48 - the basic emulator proggy
            ROMDump - to get a basic dump from my 48GX to make emu48 work as a bare 48GX
            HPComm - to allow me to upload CARDUpl to the 48GX from my PC
            CARDUpl - to get an image of the TDS ROM card in slot1 of the real 48GX onto the PC (executes on the 48GX)
            ROM2EMU - to convert CARDUpl's binary file to an .emu file
            CardCopy - to copy that .emu file into the "virtual" slot1 of the emu48 emulator

Nada.
            I have put more hours into this already than I can claim on my time card for what should be a simple one-app quicky

I have written an e-mail to the guy who runs hpcalc.org, but he didn't know what to do, and suggested I contact the author of CARDUpl, since it almost seems his ROM2EMU isn't doing it's job.
            Unfortunatly, in the readme of CARDUpl, the author specifically states he will give no individual support, and not to even bother mailing him with questions

It wouldn't be a big deal for me...I'd just go on using my 48GX for my calcs...but other people in the office (including the bosses) saw me messing with the emulator, and now they all want it working (with the TDS stuff of course) on their PCs.....

Comment

bump-o-ramma

Comment

Hey big K...

Would a Batch File or Little Program or Script work for launching the programs?
                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Don't think I catch your meaning.
                  What would a batch file or script do for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                    Actually, Jon, yes...that is where I got many of the utilities I am using to try to get this working, along with http://www.hpcalc.org/.

I used his ROMdump to get the initial emulator emu48 running.
                    I used his Cardupl to get the image from my TDS ROM card.

Problem is, nobody makes an app that does it all.

To use cardupl, I had to d/l a util to load cardupl onto my 48GX.
                    Then, after cardload does it's thing, you need to use 2 more utils to convert that file to something emu48 can understand.

As it stands, I have used:
                    Emu48 - the basic emulator proggy
                    ROMDump - to get a basic dump from my 48GX to make emu48 work as a bare 48GX
                    HPComm - to allow me to upload CARDUpl to the 48GX from my PC
                    CARDUpl - to get an image of the TDS ROM card in slot1 of the real 48GX onto the PC (executes on the 48GX)
                    ROM2EMU - to convert CARDUpl's binary file to an .emu file
                    CardCopy - to copy that .emu file into the "virtual" slot1 of the emu48 emulator

Nada.
                    I have put more hours into this already than I can claim on my time card for what should be a simple one-app quicky

Couldn't you make a small batch file to have a menu to run each program as needed... it would be crude and cumbersome... but it might work.

All you have to do is make a menu drive batch file.

1) Upload Card Data (Runs CARDUpl)
                    2) Convert data (Runs ROM2EMU)
                    3) Load Card Data (Runs Card Copy)

Which funtion would you like to pick?
                    Choice :

Etc...

Like I said.. it would be crude... but at least you could organize the steps that your co-workers have to use.

It was just an Idea anyways...
                    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but that's not necessary.
                      All of the different apps are only to get an .emu file from the HP.
                      Once that .emu is made, I should only have to run the emulator and load that .emu file (which can be done with the command line for the emulator).

The problem is, I can't seem to get a good .emu file...

Comment

Working...
                      X